Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Where is my gedcom??? H E L P!

Help
2012-02-16
2013-05-30
  • I've succesfully installed phpgedview - no problems at all, but.
    Then I  uploaded a gedcom-file with the right content (I've checked). And I added it.
    When I try to access it, it shows that it is absolutely emty.
    Have I forgot to do anything?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-02-16

What version of PGV did you install?  You should be using the "SVN" version.  Download and install instructions are in a recent Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: …"

Please explain exactly what you did when you uploaded the GEDCOM file and then added it.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-02-16

Unless there's a very good reason to use that VERY old 4.2.1, you should use the "SVN" version.  There have been a lot of bug fixes and fixes to security holes since 4.2.1 was released over 3 years ago.  Even 4.2.4, the last official release from over a year ago, is 'way out of date.

Is there a reason you used FTP to deliver your GEDCOM to the server?  The only time you'd need to use FTP is if the GEDCOM is bigger than the upload size limit configured into the server's PHP installation.  This limit is often 2 Mb.

Normally, you would use the "Upload GEDCOM" button on the "Manage GEDCOMs and edit Privacy" page.  This procedure uploads the GEDCOM to the right directory using programming built into PhpGedView, verifies the GEDCOM for certain common errors, and then starts importing the uploaded GEDCOM into the database.

If you use FTP to get the GEDCOM to the server, you should deliver the file to the "index" directory in your PhpGedView installation, then set the permissions on that file to 777, and then launch PhpGedView.  Use the "Add GEDCOM" option on the "Manage GEDCOMs and edit Privacy" page, and enter just the GEDCOM file name (no directory name) into the "File and Directory Name on Server" field.

• After following your instructions, I've now succeded in creating my PhpGedView genealogy viewer on my homepage.
    Now I can begin to work with it.

Thanks very much