Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Export ALL data

Help
2013-06-26
2013-06-28
  • Shawn Moore
    Shawn Moore
    2013-06-26

I am trying to upgrade my server and part of the process is exporting all of the data from phpgedview. However when I download the gedcom it leaves out the details of living people. I've turned off all the privacy. In the privacy settings everything is set yo show to public. I've even set the assume person is dead to 1 year old but it still refuses to export all the details. What am I missing? This data is in the database but for some reason the gedcom file on the OS drive is missing so I cant just snag it.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-06-26

If you want to export all of the database, you need to be logged in with Admin rights, and you need to select the proper Privacy option in the Export Options dialog.

• Shawn Moore
    Shawn Moore
    2013-06-27

I only have 1 user, the admin user. When exporting I've tried selecting all 4 options (Visitor, auth user, gedcom admin and site admin) under privacy and get the same results. All of them come back with "1 NOTE living - details excluded" for living people.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-06-27

The Privacy option you use when you're exporting the database to a GEDCOM simply tells PhpGedView to pretend that you're logged in with the selected privileges. It will hide details or not according to the configured Privacy settings.

Check your Privacy settings. You'll find these when you edit the Privacy configuration from the GEDCOM Management page.

If you have the "Show living names" option set so that living names are hidden even from Admin users, you'll see the behaviour you describe.

• Shawn Moore
    Shawn Moore
    2013-06-27

My privacy settings have all been changed to "show to public" not just for the living names but for everything else too already. Even logged out and logged back in after the change and manually checked the php files to make sure they were applied.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-06-27

Are you EXPORTING or DOWNLOADING? The EXPORT option does not have a privacy option and puts a copy of the entire GEDCOM into the config file folder. DOWNLOAD has privacy options and will save a copy to your personal computer. So, if you are having unusual problems, use the EXPORT option and simply FTP the copy.

You do realize that a good number of variables about setup (privacy, news, messages, users,...) are not included in a GEDCOM file. Of course, you should probably move to webtrees, the latest version being v1.4.3 released this week and the last to use PHP 5.2. Future versions will require at least v5.3 or better, with 5.4 or 5.5 preferable.
    -Stephen

• Shawn Moore
    Shawn Moore
    2013-06-28

I am happy doing either one. Currently I'm downloading because I don't see a method to export. Where is that? As I said there is no gedcom file on the server right now to just grab and download.

Webtrees is already installed on the new server thats what I am trying to migrate to.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-06-28

Shawn - Sorry, I simply can not follow you. PGV does not require a GEDCOM file to run once imported into the database. If you need a copy of the information, you must create one. Perhaps if you were more specific about your methods, "I'm downloading", we could help more.

1st, if you are trying to migrate to webtrees, why not use the PGV > webtrees wizard? It would move all the other data, in addition to the family tree data, including your news, messages, privacy settings and users. Having a GEDCOM is not necessary for this process and it is the most complete method, as posted previously.

2nd, if you simply wish to capture a copy of the family tree file for use or backup, then:
    1) Access PGV as an admin
    2) Navigate to the "Manage GEDCOMS and privacy page" via the Portal icon.
    3) Select which (if several) GEDCOMS you wish to EXPORT or DOWNLOAD, and proceed. Like I said before, EXPORT is the fastest method and automatically saves ALL data while DOWNLOAD moves a copy to your local machine and you must apply privacy.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-06-28

The "Export" option is in the same place as "Download", just to the left of the "Download" option.

• Shawn Moore
    Shawn Moore
    2013-06-28

I dont have an export option at that location only the download option. Its probably an older version.

The PGV > webtrees wizard won't work its on separate servers with no connectivity between the two. I guess I can try and install webtrees on the old server and try to covert that way but I think the old server wont support it (php too old).

Is there any way to run the export other than from that link? Or to export the data from the SQL database in some other way?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-06-28

UPDATE. That has been the recurring theme and discussion here for over three years.
    You have never advised what version you had.

You can do a DB dump and install it at the new server to bring across that information. Then, I think all you need is the Config.php file.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-06-28

You might try backing up the PGV database and tables on the old server and then restoring them on the new. Be sure to use the same database name and database credentials.

Depending on the requirements of the PGV --> webtrees migration wizard, you might need to build a fake PGV installation on the new server. All you'd need would be the "config.php" file and the "index" directory and its contents from the old server. If you have media, you would need the "media" directory and its contents too.

Please note that I have no experience with webtrees, so my advice might not work.

• Shawn Moore
    Shawn Moore
    2013-06-28

I have figured out what is wrong, at some point an exported Gedcom with the details restricted was reimported into the mysql database and the details don't exist. I ended up doing a new install of PGV on the old server but tying it to the same database at which point I could do an export not a download. The file was still missing the details. Then I went directly into the mysql and looked at a few entries and can see that the info isnt in the mysql anymore.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-06-28

So, get it from your backups ;-)))

• Shawn Moore
    Shawn Moore
    2013-06-28

Backups don't go 3-4 years back, that's when it probably got changed, the last time I look at the stuff. There may be something on floppy from before that...