Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Thumbnail error

Help
Thomas52
2012-09-01
2013-05-30
  • Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-09-01

Getting an error message: "Thumbnail media/thumbs/Carrington,JosA,AmandaJDugin.jpg could not be generated automatically. Blank name or illegal characters in name."
    The image itself is uploading fine, but I get a thumbnail error -- any ideas?

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-09-01

Looks like your FS chokes on commas

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-09-01

Probably it's the thumbnail-generating software that's choking

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-09-01

Not the commas, almost half my images have commas.  Ideas for a fix?  (I'll try later, see if it's a temporary problem.)

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-09-01

Thomas
    Dozens of reasons for these kinds of problems, although commas are not the best idea.
    Make your own thumbnail and upload it. That's the best solution.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-09-01

The error message you report doesn't always reflect the true cause of the error.

If the original image is too big and you don't have enough memory allocated, you'll get this error too.  When assessing memory requirements, you need to consider that the original JPG image needs to be converted to a bit map (lots of memory needed here), and then the bit map needs to be copied before being reduced in size and then converted to JPG.

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-09-01

Good thought.  I reduced the image to 280x390,  321KB, but still no joy.  I have some very large images (like 1MB or so - NOT intentionally, though) and have never experienced this particular problem before.  Hmmm.

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-09-01

Have you made any changes to your site recently?   Permissions problems on the thumbs folder will cause an error.

Have you tried renaming the file?  Make sure there's no initial space or nonprinting characters.

As a programmer, I'm embarrassed not to have known linux filenames allow commas and shocked to learn it.  The exploits!  Putting whitespace or other non-alphanumeric characters in filenames is asking for trouble.  Are you a skydiver by any chance?

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-09-01

Any chance you already had a thumbnail by that name?

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-09-02

Stephen - re: making my own thumbnail was considered,but I'm not quite sure how.  I (think I)  want a 100x150 px of 8 KB or less, but making a 100x150 gives me a larger image - like 40 KB, and … ? 
    But I have about about 8,000 individuals with about 4,000 images, and making my own images could get tedious.
    I need a better fix, or a better plan.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-09-02

I'm confused. I thought you already had thumbs and this was a one-off. If not, you definitely have a configuration problem (memory, permissions, bad support programs or corrupted files). I assume you ARE using the SVN version. If not, please don't ask for support as the older versions are no good at all, particularly in media handling. With your reply to handling thumbnail creation, you obviously have little media experience. Photoshop or Elements can
    (1) batch process an entire folder
    (2) create all to a specified maximum width or height
    (3) do it much more efficiently
    Also, I don't have a single thumbnail larger than 10k and most are 2-3k. Why on earth would any be 40k or more JPGs.
    Also, what width have you specified for your auto-creation in the configuration? 100 px ?  Profile thumbs should be no bigger than 120X130 and probably 100X130. Regular images need not be larger than 1000px wide or tall and should be compressed JPGs with a size about 100k or less. I have a few that cousins have uploaded at 2mb and I didn't notice, so I need to resize both the depth and size.  Check that B& W photos are not saved as color, with extra channels, etc.
    -Stephen

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-09-02

Stephen - what, did you buy stock in Adobe?

Use the Gimp.

http://www.gimp.org/

The Gimp will batch resize your images and do everything else one (me, at least) has ever thought of doing with an image editor.

Free, open source, excellent software.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-09-02

@George
    IMO, this would have better been addressed as a suggestion for Thomas and other users.
    I already have my plethora of preferred tools and know what I'm doing, thank you.
    -Stephen

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-09-02

Sorry for the confusion, guys.  I have several thousand images, and never any problem with the thumbnails.  I was adding FOUR images, but only had a problem with #4.  I often use commas, hypens, and/or underscores in my file names, as in the earlier error message: "Thumbnail media/thumbs/Carrington,JosA,AmandaJDugin.jpg could not be generated automatically. Blank name or illegal characters in name."  As mentioned, I also have some rather LARGE image files (as much as 1MB) - these are usually oversights, and sloooow, but never cause errors.
    I can also experience a similar error message if I fail to properly identify the "Media file to upload." - I will get a "illegal characters" message.  I did try renaming, and re-sizing the file, but no go.
    To create the thumbnail, I used Picasa, and (as mentioned) got a 98x137 pixels image that was 39.6 KB, which got me wondering, BUT… this is an aside. 
    Generating my own thumbnail and using the "Manage Multimedia" function allowed me to add the image to the individual/family pages.  If interested, see http://www.adkins9.net/individual.php?pid=I5284
    My concern was how OFTEN I add images, and what went wrong? I will play with various other solutions and advise if/when I figure it out..  Thanks for the input.

• Han
    Han
    2012-09-02

Its a filename with 28 characters. Try to give it a shorter name and see what happens.

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-10-19

FYI, after much study and some repetitions of the problem, the error appears to originate from one or two sources:
    #1 - file size - sometimes (not always) file sizes larger than 300-400 KB work better when reduced in size;
    #2 - format error - it appears an occasional error may pop up when converting an image from .bmp to .jpg format.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-10-19

It's not actually the file size, but more accurately the image size in pixels, combined with the colour depth.

As has been stated umpteen times already, thumbnail creation involves expansion of the JPG image into a bit mapped image, copying that BMP image, and then reducing the copy to a smaller BMP image before converting the reduced image back to a JPG (more copying).  This is a VERY memory-intensive process.  You need to make LOTS of memory available to PGV.