Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

no space between given name and surname

Help
Han
2012-07-22
2013-05-30
  • Han
    Han
    2012-07-22

I generated a GedCom-file with Aldfaer 4.2
    Names are displayed in PhpGetView as:
    HanBrouwer
    Janvan Beveren
    etc.
    In witch file and witch line can I insert a space between the given name and the surname?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-07-22

You will need to edit the GEDCOM that was produced by Aldfaer, and then re-import the modified GEDCOM.  The problem is that Aldfaer did not insert a space before the family name field, like so:

Aldfaer output:

1 NAME Han/Brouwer/
    1 NAME Jan/van Beveren/

Correct output:

1 NAME Han /Brouwer/
    1 NAME Jan /van Beveren/

The reason the GEDCOM specification makes the space optional and PGV behaves that way is to accommodate Chinese names, where you don't insert a space between the family name and the given name.  In Chinese, the two names are run together as one set of ideographs, and the family name is always stated first.

You should check the Aldfaer options for creating the GEDCOM.  There might be an option for automatically inserting that separating space in the GEDCOM.

• Han
    Han
    2012-07-22

Thanks but thats a lot of work. Its easier to insert the space in some php-file. But I don't know where :-)

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-07-22

If you have the batch_update module installed, you can do the following:

- in the "Data and GEDCOM administration" section, click on the "Perform batch updates/edits on your GEDCOM" menu entry (last entry in the left side of this section)
    - Select the correct GEDCOM from the list, and select the "Fix name slashes and spaces" option
    - Follow the prompts.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-07-22

Note:
    You did not say what version of PGV you're running.

I'm running the 4.3.0 "SVN" version, and when it imports a GEDCOM that has the missing spaces, it adds them automatically.

Download and upgrade instructions for this version are in the Help topic post whose title begins with "Repost: Download …"  It's near the top of the Help topic list.

• Han
    Han
    2012-07-23

OK, thats better. Thank you very much. I'm running PGV basic 4.2.4. Later this week I will update to 4.3.0.

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-07

Not all the record are changed. Is there a maximum? Is there a way to change all the records? Can I repeat the action without having double spaces?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-07

I don't know whether there is a maximum.  Probably "yes".

There's no harm in running the procedure again.  You will not get extra spaces.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-08-07

Usually simply F5, but you can run it again and again if your PHP script has timed out due to your settings and the extensive amount of changes.
    -Stephen

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-07

I tried to do it again but I got the message: "nothing found". Probably there is a limit of 1024 or 2048 records and it starts every time at the begin. I di'dn't count them. I have almost 4000 records.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-08-07

Nothing found means it has corrected all with that format. If finished.

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-07

But thats not true. There are still records with that format that hasn't corrected. So there must be a limitation.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-08-07

From my iPhone: Let me assure u there is NO limit. Batch update will work on hundreds of thousands of records. Where are you checking? Can we see the site? Stephen

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-08-07

Make sure you have the correct Gedcom selected.

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-08

Look here: http://84.81.96.112/PhpGedView/
    Some names are with and others without a space.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-08

Han:
    One very important point, that is often overlooked:

After having made the corrections to the GEDCOM, you will need to re-import so that the database is properly updated too.

Since you are working in Dutch, here are the steps you need to follow, using the Dutch texts on the various pages:

1. Log in as Administrator, and click on Beheren at the top of the page.  This will open the Beheer page.

2. Click on the Beheer GEDCOM-bestanden en privacy-instellingen option.  This is the third option in the left column.  This will open the Huidige GEDCOM-bestanden page.

3. On the GEDCOM-bestand line, click Importeer and then follow the various prompts.
    3a.  The Wilt u de oude gegevens verwijderen en de gegevens uit het nieuwe GEDCOM-bestand toevoegen? question should be answered with Ja .
    3b.  The Behoudt media links question might not appear.  If it does, you need to answer it with Nee.
    3c.  Click the Doorgaan button.

4. The procedure continues with the Importopties dialog.  Don't change any of the default settings, and click the Doorgaan button again.

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-08

I fixed this problem. Their were no spaces inserted in the GEDCOM file with the action as discribed above. I fixed it with WORD 2010 with a two-step-action and imported it in PHPGETVIEW. Now its OK.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-08-08

Han
    I think you are mistaken. I think, had you exported the database to a new GEDCOM, you would have seen the changes.
    PGV no longer updates the text GEDCOM after import. Changes and additions, including 'batch update' are made strictly within the database - not in the text file.  It is specifically why I asked you: " Where are you checking? "

If you looked at the text file, you were simply viewing the file you had imported, NOT the data that had been massaged. New users often can't get their head around this concept, but PGV (and webtrees) do not use the GEDCOM once it has been imported. Do not think that your text file will contain your new data in the future. You must export a copy of the database to create an updated version for use or review elsewhere.

Glad you have resolved your problem.
    -Stephen

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-08

Not easy to be a generalist, knowing a bit of this and a bit of that :-) But after a while you can look at my site:
    http://84.81.96.112/PhpGedView/

thanks for all the help :-)
    problebly I will ask some questions again.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-08-08

No problem.
    At first blush, you've got a lot of work ahead of you to clean up your configuration and data.
    No PLAC hierarchy? Take a look at: http://84.81.96.112/PhpGedView/placelist.php?ged=060812.ged
    You need to add Top Level countries to all your places, and perhaps states or provinces. Given the number of places and amount of data you have, this will be a major chore. You may wish to use a free utility called GEDPLACE.EXE (a windows product) to help. It works on a GEDCOM and thusly you will have to export a copy, use the tool and then reimport (erasing your existing data). Unless you do this, you will have no use of Google Maps.

Too, I'm not sure why you have completely excluded anyone speaking English from using your site. That was not necessary to still have the default set to Dutch.

Media links are all broken. You will have to upload all your media to the media file, apply the permissions modifier and perhaps move them to a protected (firewall) directory. If that doesn't work, you will need to manage every media item.
    -Stephen

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-09

I  will look for  GEDPLACE.EXE to fix the PLAC hierarchy. I never imagine that I could use Google Maps. For the moment it's low priority.
    I've added the English language. You can choose now Dutch or English.
    I had to read  how to add the media and how to protect it.

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-11

I've added the Media. Thats works fine.
    Now I want to start to change the names of the places. I've downloaded GEDPLACE.EXE and understand what to do. But what to do with places that don't exist anymore? We have a lot of that in the Nederlands. Split up, put together and other variants.