Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Notes not importing and not showing on report

Help
Joe Flynn
2011-05-02
2013-05-30
  • Joe Flynn
    Joe Flynn
    2011-05-02

I'm having a problem with "Notes" - or perhaps it's two separate problems. 

I maintain my data using Family Tree Maker 2010 (Version 19.0.0.206), export it to a gedcom file (Gedcom 5.5 format) and then import it into PhpGedView (now running version 4.2.4, but the same situation was present in earlier versions).

PROBLEM 1:  The first paragraph of each "Note" does not get imported.  My "source" data contains quite a few notes, and many of them are more than one paragraph in length.  When there is more than one paragraph, the first paragraph does not show up on the Individual "Notes" tab; if there is only one paragraph, nothing shows up.

PROBLEM 2: Notes do not show up on reports (ex. the Ahnentafel Report or the Individual Report) - instead there is simply a reference to the note's ID (in the following example it's "N171").

I'd appreciate any help you all can provide - I'm probably doing something wrong but have been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out (and I don't have that much hair to spare these days!).

EXAMPLE OF DATA CONTAINED IN GEDCOM FiLE:

0 HEAD
    1 SOUR FTM
    2 VERS Family Tree Maker (19.0.0.206)
    2 NAME Family Tree Maker for Windows
    2 CORP Ancestry.com
    3 ADDR 360 W 4800 N
    4 CONT Provo, UT 84604
    3 PHON (801) 705-7000
    1 DEST GED55
    1 DATE 30 APR 2011
    1 CHAR ANSI
    1 FILE C:\All_Data\Genealogy\FTW_FILES\Thomas_W_Flynn.ged
    1 SUBM @SUBM@
    1 GEDC
    2 VERS 5.5
    2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
    0 @SUBM@ SUBM
    1 NAME xxxxxxxxxxxx
    1 ADDR xxxxxxxxxxxx
    2 CONT xxxxxxxxxxxx
    2 CONT USA
    1 EMAIL xxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
    1 PHON nnn-nnn-nnnn
    0 @I834@ INDI
    1 NAME Thomas W /Flynn/
    1 SEX M
    1 BIRT
    2 DATE FEB 1833
    2 PLAC Summerhill, County Meath, Ireland
    2 SOUR @S168@
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT Born May 1833
    2 SOUR @S70@
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT Date of birth: Feb 1833, age 67, born in Ireland
    2 SOUR @S209@
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT Age: 27, born in Ireland
    2 SOUR @S293@
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT Age 36, born in Wisconsin
    2 SOUR @S382@
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT Age 47, born in Ireland
    1 BURI
    2 DATE 1901
    2 PLAC Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI
    2 SOUR @S190@
    3 PAGE Thomas W Flynn
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT -1901; Block 101, Lot 1, Space 3
    1 EMIG
    2 DATE 1849
    2 PLAC Ireland
    2 SOUR @S70@
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT Year of immigration: 1849; number of years in the United States: 51
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Cemetery City
    2 DATE 1901
    2 PLAC Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI
    2 SOUR @S190@
    3 PAGE Thomas W Flynn
    3 DATA
    1 EVEN Dangan Catholic Church
    2 TYPE Baptism Church
    2 DATE 04 MAY 1833
    2 SOUR @S168@
    1 EVEN
    2 TYPE Baptism City
    2 PLAC Summerhill, County Meath, Ireland
    1 EVEN St Patrick's
    2 TYPE Cemetery Name
    2 DATE 1901
    2 SOUR @S190@
    3 PAGE Thomas W Flynn
    3 DATA
    1 EVEN Block 101, Lot 1, Space 3
    2 TYPE Cemetery Plot
    2 DATE 1901
    2 SOUR @S190@
    3 PAGE Thomas W Flynn
    3 DATA
    1 DEAT
    2 DATE 21 JUN 1901
    2 PLAC Eau Claire County, WI
    2 SOUR @S339@
    3 DATA
    4 TEXT Died 21 Jun 1901
    2 SOUR @S190@
    3 PAGE Thomas W Flynn
    3 DATA
    1 NOTE @N171@
    0 @N171@ NOTE
    1 CONC Thomas Flynn was born in Summerhill, County Meath, Ireland, in 1833;
    1 CONC his parents were Lawrence Flinn and Catherine Reilly.  He was baptized
    1 CONC at the Dangan Catholic Church there on May 4, 1833; his sponsors were
    1 CONC Lawrence Fagan and Eliza Flinn.  Records show that he had a brother,
    1 CONC Peter, baptized in the same parish on September 5, 1835. [This
    1 CONC information was obtained by Sr. Patrick Joseph Flynn on a visit to
    1 CONC Ireland in 1979.]
    1 CONT
    1 CONT The family moved to Kansas (Wyandott Township, Wyandott County) some
    1 CONC time between 1858 and 1859.  Census records for Wyandott Township for
    1 CONC 1860 show Thomas, Jane, Joseph, and John Flinn living there at that
    1 CONC time.There is nothing listed in the "Value of Estate Owned" column,
    1 CONC perhaps a sign that the family did not own any real estate in Kansas.
    1 CONC A search of land records at the Wyandott County Courthouse revealed no
    1 CONC record of any land purchase or sale by Thomas Flinn.  His occupation
    1 CONC was listed as "farmer" in the census.
    1 CONT
    1 CONT The Family moved to Eau Claire, WI in the summer of 1862, traveling by
    1 CONC boat up the Mississippi and Chippewa rivers.  They lived in the city
    1 CONC of Eau Claire until about 1867, when they settled on a homestead in
    1 CONC the Town of Union, Eau Claire County.
    1 CONT
    1 CONT Nothing is currently known about the fate of Thomas's parents,
    1 CONC brothers, or sister.  However, the followning notice was published in
    1 CONC the Eau Claire Leader on July 15, 1896:  "Thomas Flynn, of the town of
    1 CONC Union, last evening left for Troy, Albany, and other eastern cities. 
    1 CONC Mr. Flynn has for the past thirty-three years been a resident of the
    1 CONC town of Union.  He will meet his brother in Troy and after an extended
    1 CONC visit return by way of Chicago."
    0 @S70@ SOUR
    1 TITL 1900 US Census Wisconsin - Eau Claire - Union
    1 NOTE
    2 CONC Source Medium: Census
    2 CONT
    0 @S168@ SOUR
    1 TITL Flynn, Sr Patrick Joseph (Grace) - letter, July 26, 1979
    1 NOTE
    2 CONC Source Medium: Letter
    2 CONT
    0 @S190@ SOUR
    1 TITL Cemetery Record: St Patrick's - Eau Claire, WI
    1 REPO @R10@
    1 NOTE
    2 CONC Source Medium: Microfilm
    2 CONT
    2 CONT ABBR St. Patrick's cemetery record
    2 CONT
    0 @S209@ SOUR
    1 TITL 1860 US Census Kansas - Wyandott - Wyandott
    1 NOTE
    2 CONT
    0 @S293@ SOUR
    1 TITL 1870 US Census Wisconsin - Eau Claire - West Eau Claire
    1 NOTE
    2 CONT
    0 @S339@ SOUR
    1 TITL Death certificate, Thomas W Flynn
    1 PUBL Name: Eau Claire County;
    1 NOTE
    2 CONC Source Medium: Official Document
    2 CONT
    2 CONT ABBR Death certificate
    2 CONT
    0 @S382@ SOUR
    1 TITL 1880 US Census Wisconsin - Eau Claire - Union
    1 NOTE
    2 CONT
    0 @R10@ REPO
    1 NAME UW-EC ARC
    1 ADDR
    1 EMAIL
    1 PHON
    0 TRLR

• Joe Flynn
    Joe Flynn
    2011-05-04

It appears that I've been able to resolve at least the first part of my issue.

Upon closer examination, I discovered that the first paragraph (or only paragraph in some cases) was not missing from the database, but it was incorrectly captured.  The structure of the gedcom produced by Family Tree Maker made the first line of the "Note" text a "CONC" - resulting in that text being appended to the "NOTE" record rather than being a separate record in the database.  As a result, the script that produces the "Notes" tab on the individual display did not see that text.  I found that by changing that first line to a "CONT" rather than the "CONC", the import correctly loads the text and it's correctly displayed on the "Notes" tab.  (See revised gedcom extract below)  It's a pain to have to scrub the gedcom from Family Tree Maker before importing it, but I can create a simle script to manage that.

The second part of my issue remains, however:  ""NOTES" do not appear on "Individual Reports" nor on "Ahnentafel Reports."  Rather than the text of the note, all I get is the reference - in this case the "Notes" section simply says "N171".  By the way, I tried installing "webtrees" to see if the issue was resolved there - it is not.

Can anybody help point me to a solution to this issue - still losing hair in the attempt to get it right!

1 NOTE @N171@
    0 @N171@ NOTE
    1 CONT Thomas Flynn was born in Summerhill, County Meath, Ireland, in 1833;
    1 CONC Ireland in 1979.]
    1 CONT
    1 CONT
    1 CONT

• Joe Flynn
    Joe Flynn
    2011-05-04

Getting closer to a solution, but still losing hair!

I have discovered that if I leave the first "CONC" line as a "CONC", but insert a leading space before the note text (see example below) things get better. 

The database then stores the first paragraph as part of the "NOTE" record but the leading space separates the text from the "NOTE" identifier (i.e. "NOTE This is the note text . . ."); without the leading space, the text is concatenated directly after the "NOTE" identifier (i.e. "NOTEThis is the note text . . .").  I am able to see the full note text (all paragraphs) in the individual's "Notes" tab.  After this change I was able to see the first paragraph of the note in Ahnentafel and Individual reports, but not the additional paragraphs.

So - getting closer - any suggestions re. how to get the additional paragraphs to show on the reports?????

1 NOTE @N171@
    0 @N171@ NOTE
    1 CONC  Thomas Flynn was born in Summerhill, County Meath, Ireland, in 1833;
    1 CONC Ireland in 1979.]
    1 CONT
    1 CONT
    1 CONT

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-05-04

Joe
    First, the standard dictates the trailing space following a GEDCOM tag (BIRT_, DEAT_, BURI_ NOTE_) . It should always be there.
    Secondly, PGV uses a system to assign the words of the first line, immediately following the NOTE tag as the 'TITL' of the note in lists, so
    0 NOTE @Nxxx@
    1 CONC This is the title of the note as displayed in PGV
    1 CONT The note continues on with multiple lines necessary to finish
    1 CONT the rest of the text contained
    1 CONT therein, and displays the note wherever it is called by a 1 or 2 NOTE @Nxxx@

Hope this helps. PGV did not previously support shared notes and there is a lot of logic in the current support to allow the Census Assistant (part of the GEDFact Assistant) to work.
    -Stephen

• Joe Flynn
    Joe Flynn
    2011-05-04

Stephen,

Thanks for your reply.  I think, as I look at my gedcom file shown in my earlier post (extracted from Family Tree Maker and imported into PhpGedView) the trailing spaces following the GEDCOM tags are there; it's when the information gets imported into my MYSQL database, pgv_other table, that things get a bit scrambled.

The "text" field from pgv_other for the record in this example looks like this:

0 @N171@ NOTE  Thomas Flynn was born in Summerhill, County Meath, Ireland, in 1833; his parents were Lawrence Flinn and Catherine Reilly.  He was baptized at the Dangan Catholic Church there on May 4, 1833; his sponsors were Lawrence Fagan and Eliza Flinn.  Records show that he had a brother, Peter, baptized in the same parish on September 5, 1835.
    1 CONT
    1 CONT The family moved to Kansas (Wyandott Township, Wyandott County) some time between 1858 and 1859.  Census records for Wyandott Township for 1860 show Thomas, Jane, Joseph, and John Flinn living there at that time.There is nothing listed in the "Value of Estate Owned" column, perhaps a sign that the family did not own any real estate in Kansas. A search of land records at the Wyandott County Courthouse revealed no record of any land purchase or sale by Thomas Flinn.  His occupation was listed as "farmer" in the census.
    1 CONT
    1 CONT The Family moved to Eau Claire, WI in the summer of 1862, traveling by boat up the Mississippi and Chippewa rivers.  They lived in the city of Eau Claire until about 1867, when they settled on a homestead in the Town of Union, Eau Claire County.
    1 CONT
    1 CONT Nothing is currently known about the fate of Thomas's parents, brothers, or sister.  However, the followning notice was published in the Eau Claire Leader on July 15, 1896:  "Thomas Flynn, of the town of Union, last evening left for Troy, Albany, and other eastern cities.  Mr. Flynn has for the past thirty-three years been a resident of the town of Union.  He will meet his brother in Troy and after an extended visit return by way of Chicago."

When I look at the "Notes" tab for this person, everything is laid out as I'd expect it, with multiple paragraphs.  But when I run an Ahnentafel Report or an Individual Report for the same person, only the first paragraph shows up in the "Notes" section of the report.  I could be missing something that ought to be obvious, but shouldn't the "Notes" appear consistently between the "Notes" tab and the "Notes" section on the reports?

I should probably apologize for my relative ignorance - that's why I appreciate the help of those who are smarter than me!

Thanks,
    Joe

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-05-04

Joe
    Several issues working here. AFAIK, the code for the reports never supported Shared Notes, only Inline (regular) Notes.
    From another well-versed authority who contacted me offline:

The GEDCOM standard specifies that a Zero Level NOTE (as with any other level NOTE tags) that the first part of the NOTE is as follows:

n @<XREF:NOTE>@ NOTE <SUBMITTER_TEXT>
    -or-
    0 @N…@ NOTE The first Line of the Note
    1 CONC/CONT the second line etc..

The report he is talking about only has code to support an "inline" NOTE not a reference to a NOTE record.  To be able to use these tags in the reports, the code will need to be changed to support @NOTE and @NOTE:CONC    I'm not at all an expert on this and frankly have not tried but I do understand the symptom and he will need to fix the code in the report to use the XREF vs. the inline..

Hope this helps you. Gerry has recently fixed a lot of reports, and he may decide to tackle this project, but it is kind of lonely out there, pretty much by himself, and given time constraints, this may be something you will need to code yourself.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-05-05

If you're going to write a script to fix the improper importing of the empty NOTE line followed by CONC (which, incidentally, is perfectly legal according to the GEDCOM standard), you should simply tack the text of the first CONC line to the end of the empty NOTE line.

0 @xxx@ NOTE
    1 CONC This is the first line of NOTE text
    1 CONC , and this should be tacked on the end of that first line

would then become:
    0 @xxx@ NOTE This is the first line of NOTE text
    1 CONC , and this should be tacked on the end of that first line

I'll look into fixing this - It's a problem with the GEDCOM import.

The problem with shared Notes not appearing in reports is going to take a lot more work.  We'll see.

would then become

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-05-07

Try upgrading to the SVN version.  The download link and instructions are shown in a Help topic near here.

I'm running the SVN version and I don't see the problem with Notes exported from Family Tree Maker.  I think this may already be fixed.  I don't know about Notes not printing in some reports - it's been some time since I looked at this code.

• Joe Flynn
    Joe Flynn
    2011-05-11

A big "thanks" to all who have responded to my post; I appreciate all the help I can get!

Unfortunately I'm going to be away from my computer for a couple of weeks in response to a medical emergency with a family member, so won't be able to work on my issues for a while.  I'll try implementing your suggested solutions as soon as I can.

Thanks again - y'all are a great help!!!!!

• Joe Flynn
    Joe Flynn
    2011-06-01

OK - back to work!

I have installed the SVN version, per your suggestion, and have some good news and some bad news to report.

The "Import" process now correctly handles the "gedcom" file that is created by Family Tree Maker (example shown in my original post #1, above).  Also, the "Notes" tab on the individual display shows multi-paragraph notes correctly now.  That's the good news.

The bad news, however, is that "Notes" boxes on reports are still not showing correctly.  I no longer get the reference number on the report (Problem 2 from my originl post) - now I get the first paragraph, but not subsequent paragraphs, of any multi-paragraph notes.  (Post #5, above, shows how the multi-paragraph note in my example is stored in the database.)  It would appear that the "report" processes are able to locate the "Shared" note with no problem, but there must be a difference with the way the data string is parsed and formatted for the "Notes" tab on the Individual display versus how it's parsed and formatted when creating the "Notes" section on the reports.  Again, I'm confident that the issue isn't related to the Shared Note concept because the first paragraph is actually pulled from the database and shows up on the reports - only subsequent paragraphs are missing.

This is true with the Ahnentafel Report, the Individual Report, and the Family Group Report.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-06-01

I think that the reports are intentionally cutting your Notes off after the first paragraph.

It would be possible to add another GEDCOM configuration option that controls the handling of Notes in reports.  However, this feature isn't going to be implemented any time soon.  There just aren't any people around right now who could implement this and who would consider this to be a worth-while use of whatever limited time is available.

• Joe Flynn
    Joe Flynn
    2011-06-02

I'm a bit disappointed and a lot confused as to why a decision would have been made to intentionally cut off "Notes" after the first paragraph.  Like myself, many people use "Notes" to capture all of the information that does not fit neatly into any other "Event" category.  Having Notes that are longer than a single paragraph must be a fairly common practice.  It's doubly confusing since, as I stated, the multi-paragraph notes are handled perfectly for the "Notes" tab on the individual display.

I do want to emphasize that I'm more than grateful for all the hard work that goes into the creation and maintenance on phpgedview; especially since it's distributed free of charge to those of us who could never create anything remotely similar.  My comments shouldn't be taken as criticism.