Menu

problem with users and gallery2 after upgrade

Help
Sarunas K
2011-08-04
2013-05-30
  • Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-04

After upgrade from 4.2.2 to 4.2.4 I have some problems with user data and gallery2. 

canajun2eh write some sugestions:

1. Please do not hijack someone else's thread.  Your problem is completely different
    from the "blank screen" problem in the original post.
    2. When you upgraded, did you run the Install wizard (site configuration) and
    then re-import the GEDCOM?  Even though you don't actually need to change any
    of the site configuration options, you should still go through the motions as
    if you did do so.
    3. You did not ugrade the Gallery2 module when you upgraded the rest of PGV
    from 4.2.2 to 4.2.4.  The error on line 69 of pgv.php indicates that you are
    in fact running Gallery2 as distributed with PGV version 4.2.2.  If you had
    upgraded to the version of Gallery that's part of the 4.2.4 "full" distribution,
    the error would have occurred on line 71.
    4. After having installed the correct version of Gallery2, please change line
    68 of file "modules/gallery2/pgv.php".
    Original line:

$bits = parse_url($SERVER_URL);

New line:

$bits = parse_url(PGV_SERVER_NAME.PGV_SCRIPT_PATH);

If this cures the problem, please let us know so that the SVN repository can
    be updated accordingly.

I will try to recovery old installation and repeat an upgrade procedure.

• Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-04

Recovered old installation and seems it is working normaly. Now trying to upgrade. On original server left folowing folders:
    /index/
    /media/
    /modules/
    config.php

inside /modules/ folder left folder /gallery2/config.php

copied everything from new v4.2.4 folder exept what was left. Made some changes in pgv.php file:
    line 68 as you suggested and aditonaly change 2 times 'g2Uri' => "/family/modules/gallery2/", ("family" is my subfolder) and
    $url = ….

Run install wizard, import GEDCOM and still no success :(
    I can see all users from user admin page but without full names and registration date. I can not edit them. And all of them are not approved by administrator and himselfs.
    I notice one strange thing. Before upgrade on the front page was message:
    This GEDCOM was created using PhpGedView 4.2.1 on … but on the admin page version was 4.2.2. Now after upgrade I can see:
    This GEDCOM was created using PhpGedView 4.2.2 on … but on the admin page I see new 4.2.4 version. Maybe I did something wrong long time ago upgrading form 4.2.1 to 4.2.2?

• Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-04

Before upgrade my database had 30 tables after 39

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-08-04

The "was created" message comes from the GEDCOM.  It's inserted into the GEDCOM when you export the database using whatever version of PGV is actually running at the time.  Thus, 4.2.2 is correct in your case.

You should not have needed to make any changes to "file pgv.php" other than the one I identified.  (Why did you make these changes?)  The fix I gave you was strictly an attempt to get rid of the "undefined index" errors.

About the different number of tables:  That's correct.  Not all of the tables dealing with users are actually needed when PGV is running.  They seem to be carried over from the earlier version.  However, I can't tell you why you're having trouble with your user list - I've never encountered problems such as yours. 

You'll need to resolve your problems with the user list before you attempt to run Gallery2.

• Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-05

Yes, you are right, first I should solve a problem with users. Maybe it is better upgrade first to 4.2.3 and then to 4.2.4? But I can not find old versions for download. Is it possible to chek data base for errors? 

Changes to pgv.php made according to the old installation instructions.

• Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-05

After updating to 4.2.3 I can not login. I was not directed to install wizard and seems problem is the same, no users were transfered and system can not recognize me as admin or ordinary user. 

• Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-05

I notice one more thing. On the clean 4.2.4 instalation in the database I do not see pgv_users table only pgv_user and pgv_user_setting. In version 4.2.2 all data about users were stored in the table pgv_users but after upgrade data was not transfered to pgv_user_setting but was transfered to pgv_user.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-08-06

When you upgraded, did you follow the the "upgrade in place" instructions as described in this recent Help topic: https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/forums/forum/185166/topic/4392768

Essentially, you start with a working 4.2.2 installation.  Export the database to a GEDCOM (so that a re-import can be done), then replace all of the PGV files and directories except for the data directories and the configuration files, then launch the new version, log in as admin, and then re-import the GEDCOM. 

You only backup the 4.2.2 database so that if you need to revert to 4.2.2 after 4.2.4 has done its database table modifications, you can restore that backup.

You'll still need to amend the pgv.php file to get rid of those "undefined index" errors in Gallery2 - it looks as if a code change required to make Gallery2 conform to the 4.2.4 way of doing things was missed.

• Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-06

Yes, I followed upgrade instructions. Now I manages to upgrade to v4.2.3 with all users. But still no luck with 4.2.4. Why did install wizard on the first start after upgrade to 4.2.4 ask to create a new admin user?

• Stephen Arnold

Stephen Arnold - 2011-08-06

Because you are doing something wrong. If you do it correctly, you'll never see the setup.php routine.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-08-07

If your site was working properly after you upgraded from 4.2.2 to 4.2.3, there's no reason it should not also have worked when you upgraded from 4.2.3 to 4.2.4.  There were no database changes between 4.2.3 and 4.2.4.

If, after the upgrade to 4.2.4, you were asked to define an admin userid, one of the database tables dealing with users was bad.

• Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-09

Totally confused :(
    After recovery to 4.2.2 can not update even to 4.2.3. Probably I am doing some systematic error but can not figure out what.
    My phpgedview was installed on Debian 5.0 lenny server and I have full access to it. I tried to migrate to another hardware with Debian 6.0 squeeze 64bit with newer PHP but it did not work because of PHP 5.3.3. So, before moving to new system I need to upgrade.
    Every day I am doing backup of my database, here is a script in my cron jobs:

#!/bin/sh
    mysqldump -u user -ppssword database_name > /path/to/backup/database_`date '+%Y%m%d'`.sql
    exit 0

Also backup of web directory:
    tar cfpz backup_name.tgz /path/to/backup

Recovery procedure is as follows:
    with PhpMyAdmin I am deleting existing database and creating new empty one with the same name. Importing date from backup file. The same with web directory, deleting old one and replacing it with on from backup. Everything works but update procedure is some mystery. Tutorial written by canajun2eh is more then clear I am checking every single directory for right permissions and still no luck. Tried to install webtrees and import data from my 4.2.2 version and everything works just fine. So, probably database is OK. I need gallery2 integration and it is why I want to be with phpgedview.
    Probably one important thing: I tried to downgrade to 4.2.1 version and when I am importing GEDCOM I never saw a "Continue" button. I can see table with import statistics but no "continue" button after import. I tried to play with shorter time value but it changed nothing.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-08-09

Does the recovered 4.2.2 installation work?  Are all your users properly defined there, and can they log in normally?  Can you define a new user (using the Admin interface), and can this new user log in and work OK?

I'm assuming that you've given the PHP system sufficient memory and execution time by means of the settings in the php.ini file.

What OS, browser, and browser version are you using to access your site?  I've seen some problems with the "continue" button when using certain versions of Internet Explorer.  Generally, we find the other browsers to be much better.  It's a probem with IE's implementation of JavaScript.

I like Firefox, and find Opera, Safari, and Chrome to be OK too.

• Sarunas K

Sarunas K - 2011-08-09

4.2.2 works after recovery. I can login and old users also can login. I can create a new user. I can browse my gallery also but when I am trying to browse gallery from a new user account I got an error :

An error occurred during the on-the-fly user creation.
    Error (ERROR_MISSING_OBJECT)

in modules/core/classes/helpers/GalleryUserHelper_medium.class at line 143 (GalleryCoreApi::error)
        in modules/core/classes/GalleryCoreApi.class at line 606 (GalleryUserHelper_medium::fetchUserByUserName)
        in pgv.php at line 107 (GalleryCoreApi::fetchUserByUserName)
        in index.php at line 39
        in index.php at line 34
        in /data/family/module.php at line 72

settings in php.ini are max_executies_time=60, memory_limit=128M
    Normaly I am using Firefox and in some rare cases IE.

• Gerry Kroll

Gerry Kroll - 2011-08-10

Judging from the error message produced by Gallery2, you probably need to download and install an upgraded package.  The "missing object" error does not come from PhpGedView.  However, the "An error occurred …" message DOES come from "modules/gallery2/pgv.php" at line 110 (for version 4.2.2)

I see that the readme file for Gallery2 in the "modules" directory tells you to install the Gallery2 package in the "modules/gallery2" directory subordinate to the PhpGedView install directory. 

I wasn't aware that these instructions exist (I wouldn't have done it that way).  This makes your upgrade procedure for PhpGedView a lot more complicated, since what you get with PhpGedView isn't the whole Gallery2 package - you only get the interface portion.  Basically, you'll need to re-install Gallery2 after you've done a PhpGedView upgrade (you can preserve the Gallery2 configuration file).

Since you're having problems with your upgrade, even from 4.2.2 to 4.2.3, it's wise to disable all modules until the site is running properly with no modules active.  You can do this easily by simply changing the name of the "modules" directory.

The values in your php.ini file seem to be normal.  Since your maximum execution time is 60, you should set the import time limit to 55.