Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

"Add Place" Deafults

Help
Thomas52
2012-12-13
2013-05-30
  • Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-12-13

I would like to modify the places_edit.php (I think) to show a default for the Latitude as "N" and the Longitude as "W" - I think it will be somewhere around line 723 - can anyone point me in the right direction? -- :)

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-12-13

Thomas
    WHY? The default is set to the 0,0. If you move the RED marker, or click somewhere to place it, and they are designed to automatically change to the proper notation. How would it possibly be better to have them differently notated?
    Are you say you actually key in a 10-14 digit location in both LAT and LONG ? The Search Globally and Locally are designed to eliminate almost any need to type any numbers.
    -Stephen

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2012-12-14

Hi Stephen - "Why?" is not much of an answer, but I don't mind the question, because I understand  that you are telling me there is an easier & simpler way.  Actually, yes, I often key in a location, (although not 10 digit in both Lat & Long,) for Townships or other places that may appear in earlier Census (Censuses, Censi?) but do not appear in the database.  Or consider it a learning exercise for me.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-12-14

@Thomas
    The "Why?" was not intended as an answer. It was intended to solicit what practices or habits you used which were counter the design of the tool. So, it is still easier to click the level (city, perhaps for Township, if not state) and then "Search Locally" to acquire a Geo-Coordinate that is quite close to your goal Twp. I find that, when comparing the GM resultant suggestion to the more precisely defined and visualized result from Histopolis, the GM suggestion is usually spot on and it is only necessary to adjust the zoom.  I too use Townships, when known, quick often even though the CSV files contain known, which makes for locating each one a must to properly use GM.  If I need to fine tune it, I usually drag the marker, still never typing anything.

Just a hint on more effective locating of GM markers. The lookup and retyping of Geo-Coordinates is pretty time consuming and somewhat inefficient.

If you truly wished to speed your process, change the default location from 'null' to a USA location and then your N/S - E/W would still be autocalculated but to a value that you would prefer: Line 788 and 798.
    -Stephen