Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

No blocks shown on Welcome and MyGedView

Help
2012-02-02
2013-05-29
  • I have had this for around a month already, when I was still on 4.2.1. Today I upgraded to 4.2.4, and this problem still persists.

The blocks that I had configured before are now only shown as "loading" images. There's no edit option for the blocks (that are usually above the technical support statement) either.

Is it even safer to delete my installation and re-configure all over again? I'm going to keep my tables, anyway.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-02-02

Software support versions? Memory?
    Ajax failing too load is usually a sign of an inadequately configured machine or old software, not a PGV config problem.-Stephen

• The server's specs are the following:
    PHP 5.2.17 (I don't know when the server will upgrade to PHP 5.3  or 5.4 when the latter is released)
    128M memory limit
    MySQL version 5.0.92
    Apache 2.2.21

I just did a clean re-install of PGV 4.2.4 using my existing tables and restored my edited GEDCOM from a backup. It's all working now. The server's sudden changes did me in. :(

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-02-02

You should be upgrading to the "SVN" version.  The instructions, etc. are in the Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: …"  This topic is just a few lines below this one.

This upgrade will NOT fix your "blocks not loading properly" problem. 

As Stephen suggests, the problem is likely to be an inadequately configured server.  Perhaps the PHP memory limit is set too low.  PhpGedView needs at least 32 Mb memory available to PHP scripts.  64 Mb is better.  This limit is set in the PHP.ini configuration file.

If you're not in control of the server, you'll need to talk to the hosting provider's support people to determine what the memory limit is and to have it set higher if it's too low.

There's also a memory limit in PhpGedView's configuration file.  This file, "config.php", is a text file found in the PGV install directory.  Since PGV won't start to allow you to edit this file through the normal user interface, you'll have to edit it manually.  What needs to be changed should be obvious.

• AlexHlp
    AlexHlp
    2012-05-29

I have similar problem: no blocks shown on Welcome and MyGedView - only 8 animated circles are shown instead.
    I tried reinstalling the whole application - it didn't help.
    PHP Version 5.2.17
    64M memory limit.
    MySQL 3
    What's wrong?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-05-29

MySQL 3

Are you sure - that would be absolutely ancient and PGV will not work with that old a version.
    http://wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php?title=Installation_Guide_v4.2.x   shows a minimum of MySQLv4.1+ and even that is ancient.
    How large is your GEDCOM? 64mb may not be enough and are you sure that PGV has the full 64M to work with?
    What version of PGV? svn 4.3 or the now ancient 4.2.3 or 4.2.4?
    -Stephen

• AlexHlp
    AlexHlp
    2012-05-29

Oh sorry, that was a typo. It is MySQL 5.1.62 version installed on web hosting server.
    Also I installed PhpGedView Version 4.2.
    Thanks

• AlexHlp
    AlexHlp
    2012-05-29

The GEDCOM file is relatively small - about 200K. All functions of PGV are working well except "blocks on Welcome page".
    I installed "old" version of PGV (4.2.1) due to lack of PDO driver support for MySQL.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-05-30

You're not going to get any help for version 4.2.1.  It's much too old.

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-05-30

Alex & Bona Rae,

It's possible you're running into PHP or server timeouts.  Besides the time required to produce the blocks themselves, there are housekeeping chores occasionally run by PGV.

There are bug fixes to the blocks in the SVN version (since 4.2.4).

Some sites have external pages (external to PGV) that link to PGV.  I can't think of a site that completely replaces the Welcome page, although this should be possible if you have access to the webserver configuration or .htaccess file.  However, there are benefits to the integration the PGV Welcome page provides, and replacing the MyGedView page this way would definitely not be worth the effort. 

George

George

• I changed settings to 'true' as shown in the following from session.php:

// Enable debugging output?
    define('PGV_DEBUG',      true);
    define('PGV_DEBUG_SQL',  true);
    define('PGV_DEBUG_PRIV', true);

and am getting the welcome page to show again.

Highlighted rows in the debugging code at the bottom of the page are stumping me for now, but at least I can get to the Welcome page again!

• Then, I turned them back to false, and there is no debugging code and the welcome page seems to be working normally.