Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Searchbox problem

Help
Zwaga
2012-08-01
2013-05-30
  • Zwaga
    Zwaga
    2012-08-01

I have a problem with the little searchbox on the top of the page. It doesn't work as it should (I think)
    On the top of each page there is a little searchbox. If I type my name in it. I will not be found with the individuals, but I am found in the families. That is so for a lot of people.
    First I thought it was because of the long (katholic) names. I am called A B C Zwaga and my (nick)/calling name is Leo. If I search for my full name I still won't be found in the individuals. In the families yes.
    But my grandfather had a simple name (Jan Zwaga). And he won't be found.
    I am not talking about the advanced search. Just about the little box on the top of the page. If you want to look :  stamboom.familiezwaga.nl
    Try to find Jan Zwaga. He is in there!
    Tnx

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-02

Please tell us what version of PhpGedView you are running.

If you're not on 4.3.0 (the "SVN" version), you should upgrade to that.  The instructions for downloading and upgrading your existing installation are in a recent Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: Download …".  It's important that you do not skip any of the steps described in that post.

If you're already running version 4.3.0, you may need to refresh the database.  To do this, you need to export the existing database to a GEDCOM, and then re-import that GEDCOM.  The Export and re-import options are found on the Manage GEDCOMs page. 

When re-importing, you MUST let PhpGedView erase the existing database contents.  If you are shown an option for deleting media links, you should choose "Yes", since the previously exported GEDCOM will contain the required media information.

• Zwaga
    Zwaga
    2012-08-02

I thought I was using the latest version 4.2.4
    I will upgrade first and follow your instructions.

• Zwaga
    Zwaga
    2012-08-02

Hai Gerry,
    I did what you told me. I am running 4.3.0 now, but the problem still exists.
    On my site stamboom.familiezwaga.nl you can try to find Jan Zwaga. He will not be found with the individuals, although he is in there. With the families he is found. It can't be because there is something complex about his name. It's just "Jan".
    So what is causing this??
    I upgraded, and reimported the gedcom-file while deleting the database and the medialinks.

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2012-08-02

Actually 'Jan Zwaga' isn't … it's 'Jan "Jan" Zwaga' so searching for 'Jan "Jan' finds him in Families … I suspect that the double quote is the source of the problem in Individuals, as 'Jan ' (note the space after n) will find him
    My own port via Firebird does get around this problem anyway, but I'm not sure on the 4.3.0 code :(

• Zwaga
    Zwaga
    2012-08-02

I put in his "roepnaam" (name he is called by, stangly translated in nickname).
    However that's the same as his official name. So I removed it again.
    The double quotes are put there by class_person.php in the "protected function _addName($type, $full, $gedrec) " , so that should not make any difference. (just to put in the nickname in the name)
    I don't understand why people are found in families, but not in individuals.
    It's the same for Simon Zwaga and a lot of others.
    The space in the name is put there by the program if you enter a given name and surname.

Code 4.2.4 and 4.3.0 do the same in this (I don't know any previous versions - I just started this)
    If I search for Jan Zwaga, it does find "Freerk Berend Jan Zwaga" among others. Even persons where Jan Zwaga is mentioned in a remark.
    If you search for "Linda Eng" she will be found with the individuals. Same name-buildup as "Jan Zwaga".
    It's very inconsistent and therefore I suspect a bug.
    Help!!!

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-02

Please e-mail me a ZIP copy of the GEDCOM, so that I can check this out on my laptop that is NOT connected to the Internet.  I do not need the media files.

e-mail:  gkroll at keldine dot ca

It would help if you could list some of the persons that can't be found properly.  Just list the Ixxxx numbers.

About "nickname"/"roepnaam":  This is a name that a person is called by that's not part of the legal name.  For example, Richard Jones is often called Dick by his friends.  The nickname would be "Dick", and the name for genealogical purposes would be "Richard Jones".

If you wish to indicate that a person is called by one of the given names other than the first, you can put an asterisk at the end of that name.  This would cause that name to be underlined.  For example:
    John Harry James* Jones would be displayed as John Harry James Jones.  The nickname might well be "Jim".

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2012-08-02

I can only agree with you :(
    I was hoping that it was just the " that was causing the problem, but obviously not.

My own site is doing these searches correctly http://phpgedview.lsces.org.uk, so search for Lester CAINE will find me despite the fact that it shows CAINE, Lester Stephen - must get that to be case insensitive at some point …

I suppose the next question is what version of database engine, php and the like are you running?