change user language

Help
Han
2012-07-28
2013-05-30
  • Han
    Han
    2012-07-28

I've changed the language of PhpGedView 4.2.3 to Dutch. In de visitorsmode it is indeed Dutch but when i'm logged in as an administrator the language is Englisch again.
    How can I change that language to Dutch?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-07-28

It uses both the language you have set as default in your user configuration and within your browser preferences.
    What are your settings for these two elements?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-07-28

You should be using the "SVN" version.  This version is also called 4.3.0.  Download links and upgrade instructions are in a recent Help topic whose title begins with "Repost: Download …"

I know that some work was done in the way the language selection/decision works.  The work was done over 2 years ago, and I don't remember the details.

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-05

OK, I've upgrade it to 4.3.0 SVN. Deleted all the language files in the language map except Dutch and English. The file lang_settings.php is present in the index map. When I visit the site as an user, all text is in Dutch. When I logged in as an administrator all text is in English and when I look in 'Configuration of supported languages ' The only language on the left site is Dutch and it's active. On the bottum Current GEDCOM's is Dutch en Users language is English but grayed out because I'm logged in. I can't find where to change that language to Dutch.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-05

You need to log in and then edit your user profile to set your preferred language to Dutch.

Each individual user is able to tell the program, by means of the user profile for that user, what language to use once logged in.  Click the "My Account" option in the "MyGedView Portal" list.  Options other than the language can also be edited here.

All user profiles can be edited by the administrator.  You log in, and then you access the User Administration menu.  This option is in the "MyGedView Portal" list.  Click on the "User List" option, and then click on the user name whose profile you want to change.

You should be able to disable English on your site after you have changed all user profiles so that the preferred language is Dutch.  If you're logged in and are using English instead of Dutch, you need to switch to Dutch first.  Of course, you will need to enable language switching in order to switch between English and Dutch after being logged in.  This option is in the GEDCOM configuration, User Options section.

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-05

I checked all your points:
    1e is Dutch
    2nd is Dutch
    3th is Dutch
    4th I can't find that section and the language for the administrator is still English.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2012-08-05

I don't see that Gerry numbered his suggestions. It would be a far better reply to list precisely what you checked or what actions you took. For instance, Can't find that section without a reference, means nothing to us. Remember, we are not watching what you are doing.

What is the default language of your browser? This is something to which we had no reply as well. This can have a contradictory effect on the presentation.
    -Stephen

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-06

No he did't number his suggestions but he wrote his suggestions in 4 paragraphs. I gave them a number. So the last paragraph is number 4, the "GEDCOM configuration, User Options section" that I could'nt find.
    The defult language of my browser is Dutch.

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-08-06

Hi Han,

I was originally going to say that you're stuck with English for administration, but I clicked the Nederlands flag and lo and behold I was administrating in Dutch.  (I have to mention that the flags are irritating - languages are not countries.).  It works too for Danish, French, Spanish, German, Italian, and perhaps others.   This could be a good way to help brush up on a language before travelling.

So maybe all you need is to find the "GEDCOM configuration, User Options section" and turn on language switching.  Here's how:

Sign on as an Administrator,

Go to the admin page.  On my theme (Cloudy) it's in the menu of the third ("little man in blue") icon, or go to ~/admin.php where the tilde ('~') is the base URL of your PGV site.

On the admin page select "Manage GEDCOMs and edit Privacy" (This is in the "Data and GEDCOM administration" section).

This takes you to the "Current GEDCOMs" page.  On this page find the Gedcom you're using and select "Edit" from the "Configuration file" line. 

Almost there!  This should take you to the "GEDCOM Configuration" page.  Here you need to find and expand the "User Options" section, third from bottom on my layout.

Find the "Allow user to change language" setting and change it to yes.

Click the "Save Configuration" button.

profit! 

(You may need to do some language configuration - go back to the admin page and click "Configure supported languages")

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-08-06

I have to mention that the flags are irritating - languages are not countries.

That's why you can select any country's flag to represent the language.  That option is on the language's configuration page.

I find it extremely irritating to see the USA flag when someone is trying to tell me that English is a language option.  I have the Canadian flag on my site, and I have seen lots of other sites where the Union Jack represents the English language choice.  You could have Jamaica, if you wanted to.

For Dutch, the Netherlands flag is the usual choice.  There's no reason you couldn't use the Netherlands Antilles flag or any other flag, even the USA one.

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2012-08-06

That's why you can select any country's flag to represent the language

I suspect that at least some of my French Canadian relatives would be confused, if not irritated, to find the Canadian flag used to symbolize the English language.  I don't mean to call anyone out specifically - I think it's generally true that flags are inappropriate because they offend some people when used as a symbol for language.

I find it extremely irritating to see the USA flag when someone is trying to tell me that English is a language option

- this is an example of the problem.  Flags are inappropriate symbols for language. 

I'd prefer that all built-in themes use a dropdown for languages.  Some themes, for example the Standard theme, already have such a dropdown.

An additional benefit of dropdowns is that they don't muck up the layout like icons do if you have a large number of available languages.

Regards,

George

Oh, and sorry Han, your thread has been hijacked.  Did you figure out your problem?  It _should_ work on PGV.  And I'm irritated by your calling the Flemish language "Dutch".  (Just kidding, although my grandmother was Vlaams Belgian, but no worries.  I think if the Belgian flag were used to symbolize _any_ language you'd start a war.)

• Han
    Han
    2012-08-06

Thank you all a lot. It works now for users and administrators in Dutch. And I know the Belgians speak Dutch. The problem is that most Dutchman do not understand them :-)