Umlauts, ASCII or ANSI

Anonymous
2009-10-19
2013-05-30

• Anonymous
    2009-10-19

Can I find information on this option?  I noticed when reviewing the family tree that I got from someone to use as my "base" tree, that it didn't contain any umlauts.  Since I feel the umlaut is a part of their name, I think they belong, but didn't know there was an option on how they should appear?

When I type in an umlaut on my keyboard (alt+0252), am I creating an ANSI vs. ASCII version?  How do I create the "other" type if I am creating the wrong kind?

Thanks!

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-10-20

ANSI.  ASCII is a 7-bit character set that doesn't allow for foreign letters.  ASCII is a sub-set of the 8-bit ANSI character set.

Does it really matter?  It seems to me that if you get the desired results, you're doing it OK.

If you're entering stuff directly into PhpgedView, you're actually entering information in UTF-8 encoding

• Anonymous
    2009-10-20

Was just curious why the option was offered, what difference it made.  Since I want to use umlauts, then it seems I need ANSI…at least for my offsite version of the file.  Thanks for your reply.

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2009-10-20

At the moment, PGV has an option to use either UTF8 or ISO8859 (a.k.a. ANSI, latin, CP1252, etc.).

Since PGV can operate with several gedcoms (links, search results, etc.), and mixed-collations don't work well at all, it is likely that a future release of PGV will remove this option.

Internal processing will be UTF8 throughout.  Imports will always convert to UTF8, and exports will have an ANSI option for compatibility with other applications.