Display Kekule number for individuals

2011-09-16
2013-05-30
  • Harald Bregel
    Harald Bregel
    2011-09-16

Some output formats include the Kekule number for the individuals but many diagrams show only the database ID @Innn@ of an individual.
    Since the Kekule number includes the notion of (a) the family branch to which an individual belongs, (b) the generation to which he/she belongs, and (C) the gender information (even/odd), it is overall much more informative than the @Innn@ individual number which does not convey all this information.
    The @Innn@, @Fmmm@ etc. numbers are of course also useful when you want to manually edit the mySQL database records, or to enter some crossreferences during editing & adding information in PhpGedView.

If possible, please allow to display the Kekule numbers for the individuals in the diagrams and reports, at least as a switchable option.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-17

We can discuss this one until "the cows come home" ….  You're not going to get much support for this notion because (a) it's very difficult to implement and (b) the number depends greatly on which starting person is chosen.

Furthermore, in a large tree with many branches, not all persons will have a "Kekule" number.  (We actually don't use the name "Kekule" - we use "von Stradowitz" or just plain "Stradowitz".)  In my tree, for instance, there are a large number of people who do not have a direct blood relationship to me but are related to others who may or may not be related to me.  If I'm chosen as the starting person, these other unrelated people will not have a meaningful number.  My descendants won't have a meaningful number either, since the number would necessarily have to be negative.  The von Stradowitz algorithm only works for direct ancestors.  It doesn't work for ancestor siblings.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-17

I must apologize:  in my reply, "Stradowitz" should, of course, have been "Stradonitz".  Also, we call the number the "Sosa" number, since the numbering system actually originated with Jerome de Sosa in 1676.

http://www.saintclair.org/numbers/numahn.html

• Harald Bregel
    Harald Bregel
    2011-09-22

You're not going to get much support for this notion because (a) it's very difficult to implement and (b) the number depends greatly on which starting person is chosen.

I object; first, it cannot be so difficult because some of the diagrams already show the Kekule or Stradonitz numbers. Yes, the numbers do change when you select another starting person. Any programming language which can calculate logarithms of the base 2 can recalculate the numbers, q.e.d.

So, I do not get where the BIG problem is to only extend this feature to other diagrams which do not yet display the numbers. You must have some real good information on this. And this information is ..?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-09-22

The BIG problem is that neither Gerry nor I are interested, there are currently no other regular developers, and SOSA is of primary interest (it seems) to German and French users.  If it is so important to you, please develop a patch and we can consider adding it to the code, but if not, it can still be offered to those who may be interested, via your downloadable patch.
    -Stephen