PHPGedview deleting photos

mz beg
2013-03-28
2013-05-30
  • mz beg
    mz beg
    2013-03-28

I have uploaded many photos, but after some time when  I check in "Manage Multimedia", I find many photos missing. It say  "The filename entered does not exist". If I replace the file, the program does not recognizes it..

What is the remedy and  how can I relink the photos again, instead of deleting the photo and object and reloading it ?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-04-17

PGV does not delete media files, unless you tell it to do so.

Are the media files actually present in the directory?  If so, there's something wrong with the file names. 

It's generally not a good idea to have spaces in file names.  It's also not a good idea to use accented letters in file names.  Stick to upper and lower case letters, numbers, and the hyphen and underscore.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2013-04-17

This discussion properly belongs in the "Help" forum.

If you're getting the "file name does not exist" message when the file is actually present in the main media directory, you need to check that the identically named file is also present in the "thumbs" subdirectory, in an identical subdirectory structure.

The "thumbs" subdirectory should contain the same subdirectory structure as the main "media" directory, and it should contain smaller versions of the main media files.  Thumbnails should generally not be larger than 150 px high or wide.

When you use PGV to upload the media files, it will attempt to create the thumbnail for you, but you can also tell it which matching thumbnail should be uploaded at the same time.

It's important to understand that PGV is not supposed to be a photo gallery.  The Media feature in PGV is intended to enhance the experience of looking at your family tree.  This means that you shouldn't upload huge photo files.  I find that if you keep your main media files relatively small (not more than 800 px high or wide), you won't have any trouble with media file uploads or thumbnail creation, provided you have allocated enough memory to PGV.