Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

What is the relationship between the webtrees

Adem GENÇ
2011-07-21
2013-05-30
  • Adem GENÇ
    Adem GENÇ
    2011-07-21

Hello,

What is the relationship between the webtrees PhpGedView?
    The authors of the same?

Regards

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-07-21

The answer to this question is posted on both of the project sites.
    webtrees is a fork from PGV. PGV was orignally conceived, created and coded by John Finlay, who still is actively involved in his project. However, he's a very busy professor, guest lecturer and father who has far less time to devote to PGV.

Several key project developers left PGV to create webtrees in Jan/Feb 2010. While based this project, there have been over 3000 significant code changes and the entire project is now database driven rather than a combination of actions. webtrees has a large, active team developing the project and has achieved many translations and improvements in speed of operations.  However, some features that some users consider "must haves"  were removed as the webtrees team felt they conflicted with their long-term goals and overall performance.
    -Stephen

• Adem GENÇ
    Adem GENÇ
    2011-07-21

Hmmm,
    Thanks

Do not have one now developing PGV?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-07-21

Generally speaking, yes. Gerry has contributed some terrific improvements in reports and some other tweaks too, and I helped fix one security flaw, but there is no one actively developing the program. As is, it is solid and reliable, but it will probably be quite a while before it is again improved or changed, if at all.

See the extended thread:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/forums/forum/185165/topic/3558977

for a lengthy discussion at the time the situation first presented itself.
    -Stephen

• Adem GENÇ
    Adem GENÇ
    2011-07-22

Thank you very much for the reply

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2011-07-22

It is worth adding that webtrees is not the only port of the PGV code. In order to maintain access to the rest of the ADOdb database options I have my own port so I can continue to use Firebird as a database. At some point I will make the repo a little more accessible, and have a number of my own developments planned for the GEDCOM engine provided by John in PGV.
    The nice thing about open source is that one can make one's own developments where needed while still maintaining the stability provided by the main code base. For me Webtrees is going in a direction that I can't make use off ;)

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-07-22

Nor is your effort the only other fork, GENMOD is still operating. This is why I've said previously, during previous times of 'hiatus', that it is not at all unlikely that this project may restart in development and that there are very few changes needed to remain operational.  However, as OSes, browsers and support programs evolve, PGV will likely become unusable unless there are patches added to accommodate these changes and, as you point out, there are other options.