Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

GoogleMap: entering coordinates into GEDCOM

2010-01-24
2013-05-30
  • Eugene Fedorov
    Eugene Fedorov
    2010-01-24

Actually coordinates can be imported from GEDCOM to GoogleMap tables.
    Is it planned in future versions to allow automatic entering of coordinates into GEDCOM record when a new place from GoogleMap database is selected? Or, at least, a batch export of coordinates into GEDCOM records from GoogleMap tables?

Thank you.

• kiwi_pgv
    kiwi_pgv
    2010-01-24

Actually coordinates can be imported from GEDCOM to GoogleMap tables.

That is true, but it is a very crude tool - and has a problem that it defaults coordinates to 0,0 if none exist in the GEDOCM file. This results in many places being marked as a location just off West Africa!

I'm sure there are many ways it could be improved, but I'm not aware of any plans to do so at present.

But there is work happening on a major improvement to the entire process of managing and recording place details, which might make such improvements unnecessary. No time frame as far as I know though. Very early stages yet though.

At present the most useful way to generate coordinates is the collection of csv files in phpgedview/modules/googlemap/extras folder, which can be imported into the tables. More have just been added and some tidied up for the next release.

Nigel

• Paul Seesink
    Paul Seesink
    2010-01-24

At present the most useful way to generate coordinates is the collection of csv files in phpgedview/modules/googlemap/extras folder, which can be imported into the tables. More have just been added and some tidied up for the next release.

An extra remove function to avoid a mass of manual deletions?
    I (re)imported from the extra folders the provinces of the Netherlands, what went fine.
    Checking the results I noticed 3 extra provinces: Noord-Brabant, Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland (spellings improved).
    The old ones (without dashes as Noord Brabant) with all underlying information were still there.
    Is there a mass deletion thinkable to remove all data under a certain level?

• Mark Hattam
    Mark Hattam
    2010-01-24

I wondered too if it would be a good idea to record (in the db) the source of imported files … that way we could more easily remove from the db the places thus imported, and if required re-import from a modified version of the .csv file. (Bit like how we record the gedfile so we can cope with multiple gedcoms.)

Mark

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2010-01-24

There are many problems with places.

MULTIPLE PLACE NAMES

We have to give each place a single name.

Place names can change over time.  For example in 1937, the
    town of Berkhampstead renamed itself to Berkhamsted.

Place also have different names in different languages.
    For example, Cardiff, Wales is also called Caerdydd, Cymru.

DUPLICATE PLACE NAMES

There can be more than one place with the same name.  For example,
    there are two places called "Wreay, Cumbria, England".

I shouldn't have to call them "Wreay (the one near Ullswater)"
    and "Wreay (the one near Carlisle)".

PLACE HIERARCHY

We have to put each place in a hierarchy.

Boundaries and borders change over time.

For example the town of Oundle used to be in Huntingdonshire,
    but moved to Cambridgeshire, and the three ridings of Yorkshire
    have been replaced with four administrative counties.

Googlemaps is based on PGV's place storage, which is based on
    the gedcom structure, which has these fundamental flaws.

IMHO, any attempt to improve it would be (to use a Yorkshire
    expression) like "polishing turds".

The whole system for handling places needs scrapping and
    redesigning from scratch.

• Eugene Fedorov
    Eugene Fedorov
    2010-01-24

I'm aware of the problems with place names and their hierarchy.
    My actual question was concerning a different aspect - would it be possible in future to export geographical coordinates from database tables into 3 MAP GEDCOM records (either in Place editing form or as a batch function, updating all 2 PLACE records without corresponging 3 MAP) ?
    I think this could be a useful feature. Despite the obvious fact that there is no optimal system for handling places (I would'nt suggest to scrap it anyway).
    Thank you.