Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

support for third party editor

2009-09-17
2013-05-30
  • maheshwar k
    maheshwar k
    2009-09-17

I am using phpgedview in India. We have people who want to add data in Indian languages. Quillipad support data entry from en_US key board to any Indian languages. http://www.quillpad.in/hindi/ , They provide some script to add this application in site.
    Can someone please guide on integrating third party editor for adding notes etc.?

Thanks,
    warm regards,
    Maheshwar

• maheshwar k
    maheshwar k
    2009-09-17

Google also has similar feature, I am not sure how to integrate with pgv.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-09-17

That is interesting software, and shouldn't be very difficult to incorporate into PGV.

Unlike other PGV add-ons, this one can't be done as a module.  This isn't a significant problem.

The first step would be to add a GEDCOM option where you would provide the key.  Empty key: no Quillpad support.

Next, the WHOLE program would have to be amended to add Quillpad support into all text boxes.  This would not be a simple task and wouldn't be done overnight. 

There are probably some text areas where Quillpad shouldn't be used, so a careful analysis of how each text input is used would have to be made.

I notice from the web site that Quillpad supports only one language at a time, and that it needs to be reconfigured when you wish to use one of the other supported languages.

You should submit a feature request to Quillpad so that the Javascript that engages Quillpad has additional parameters:  (a) English initially active (yes/no), and (b) Non-english input language (Hindi, Urdu, Marathi, Tamil, …)

The (b) above would enable users to dynamically switch to a different supported input language.  This is one of the important features of PhpGedView, and needs to be supported by Quillpad too.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-09-17

I forgot to mention:
    PGV is able to run without a connection to the Internet.  This would be a problem with Quillpad, which seems to require an Internet connection to do its magic.

• Wes Groleau
    Wes Groleau
    2009-09-20

While I would personally love for PGV to be able to call alternate editors,
    why do you want to use a U.S. keyboard for a non-U.S. language?  I can put any Unicode-supported script in a PGV edit window, if I use the normal keyboard layout for that script.
    See http://UniGen.us/PGV/individual?pid=P1959 for an example (look at the name and the note under it).

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-09-21

Wes:
    This isn't really an alternate editor.

What we're dealing with here is an alternate input method that allows keyboards with latin layouts, as one would normally find on laptops, to be used to input text composed of non-latin letters.  It's really a phonetic input system, based on certain latin letter combinations sounding like other letter combinations in the current non-latin alphabet.

I don't think this is such a bad idea, but I wonder how many of these softwares to implement alternate input methods would need to be supported. 

I'd hate to expend all this effort to support just one such system.  If we could make some generalizations about such softwares and how they're called, the effort would be more tolerable.

• Wes Groleau
    Wes Groleau
    2009-09-27

"phonetic input system, based on certain latin letter combinations sounding like other letter combinations in the current non-latin alphabet" is exactly what many of the Mac input methods are.  We switch those at the system GUI system-neither the browser nor PGV can prevent it or even detect it.

Doesn't Windows have anything similar?