Working with SVN

2009-10-02
2013-05-30
  • Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-10-02

I'm working with SVN via Eclipse and I've just come back to sync with the latest PGV changes. PGV is currently the only project on SVN so this is still a learning curve. On CVS sync, I can simply compare the new version with my local copy and manually merge the new bits that do not cause a problem with my own changes. Not having anything to compare with, I don't know where the problem is, but when I try to 'open in compare editor' I'm being told there is an svn error and that the 'Two versioned resources are unrelated'. I can rename my local version, and then download the new version to compare locally, but this is totally impractical for a large number of files. How do people compare versions to merge changes manually on SVN?

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-10-02

OK - I can partially answer my own question. Having updated the local copy the parts that need merging are combined in line. BUT I need to be able to see what has been changed BEFORE doing the update so I can assess if .. a. The update is correct ( cross check of other peoples work ) and more important … b. If the updated sections will need modifying to match my own local build. So the question still stands … how do I compare before updating?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2009-10-02

Lester 
    JOHO, but a much better SVN client can be had for free (or even more enhanced with a small purchase) with SmartSVN from SynTevo at http://www.syntevo.com/index.html 
    Platform independent and very versatile.

-Stephen

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-10-02

I've been using Eclipse/PHPEclipse for a LONG time, and having everything available from the IDE works well for me. It looks like I've hit a problem with the subeclipse client but I am fairly sure that I should be able to DO a compare without subeclipse 'automatically merging' the code.