Blocks

potain
2009-10-22
2013-05-30
  • potain
    potain
    2009-10-22

Hi

Blocks seem to be the main apparatus/medium for displaying visual  information for the program. I am not sure if this has been suggested before or been given any consideration but I feel that there is a lot be be gained from having a central place for the administration of blocks (similar to a roles/user/permission page).

I presume that there is a basic block from which all other blocks inherit their characteristics so  from that base so you could then establish a global set of basic rules/choices available for to each block ensuring conformity, uniformity but also enabling  user to choose to exclude or include a particular feature . Further functionalities could be then applied according to the job that one wanted the block to perform. You could also build in enabling/disabling together with a set of user  permissions/privileges.

Adding a new block would then a cinch as you would have all the  formatting, placement and other functionalities available in the one spot.. For developers  any new functionality would then be simply (after the hard work of coding it) a question of adding it the the list of choices knowing that the basic had been met.

I also wander if headers and footers could also be treated as blocks which might help with template design.

Don't know how much work would be involved but I vision it to be like having compartments within a whole.

Jean

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-10-22

When you say "block", are you referring to the several pieces of the Welcome and the Portal pages, or are you referring to something else?

If it's "something else", can you be more specific?

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-22

I was referring to the blocks listed in the Wiki:

http://wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php?title=Category:Blocks

There's almost no information about them in the Wiki just a link to the SVN.

Is there other code that can be considered as blocks in that sense?

I'm thinking thar all the design elements and other functionalities could be assembled in the one central place rather than scattered in the config file. Hope that makes sense.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-10-22

Right.  You and I are talking about the various regions on the Welcome and the Portal pages.

The common design elements of each block are found in the "themes/foo/templates" subdirectory according to the chosen theme and the placement of the block.

The body of each block must, of course, vary but is common across all themes.  The Todays Events and the Upcoming Events blocks have virtually identical code.  These blocks are an exception - most blocks don't have much common code in the body section.

There isn't much possibility to share the configuration code that's in each block.  You'd spend a lot more time setting things up for the common configuration code.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of achieving more sharing across blocks and themes. 

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-10-23

This is one of the reasons I have been porting PGV to work as a plugin to bitweaver. BW provides all of the theming and styling one could want along with a number of other facilities. I want to be able to add 'modules' to BW that use PGV based data on wiki and other pages. Unfortunately the bulk of the page generating code in PGV is not easily ported to be used as modules but I had many converted to templated layouts and I'm just working back trough those with the ADOdb based version. I'd sort of split the 'GEDCOM engine' away from the heavier content pages so I have all the GEDCOM mamagement tools ring fenced.

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-23

Thanks Gerry

Yes, I see what you mean. Ah well, food for thought.

I have a couple of questions relating to this if I can pester you a little longer.

Is it possible to place blocks outside of the welcome/portal pages?
    As a work around to the Family Story module which is longer supported, I was wandering if I could place a text area block under the Family Group Information  in the family page for people to enter remarks? It would be handy to have FCK available so that one could add links (say to a Utube video)

avi

On my local installation (XPhome XAMPP) I tested adding a short avi video on own my family page - the icon displayed OK but when  I clicked on it in the page that opens where the video plays, is a  blank white screen (using Firefox) but no video/controls. Do I need to configure anything in order to make it play. Any other video formats supported.

How about pacing an embedded player on the page rather than playing it through the browser? Is that an option?

This is what it says next to the icon:

devise-istd.sample.avi  ‎(M4)‎

Format: avi

Type: Video

Always use main image?: No

iframe

If I wanted to have another program open up in an iframe in the body section of PGV  with the main menu available - is that possible? (As opposed to leaving the PGV environment)

Centering titles in blocks

Still trying to find a way to do this. Would wraping this code  with a div align"center" in the block_main/small_temp.php work?

<div class="blockhc"><b><?php print $title ?></b></div>

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-23

Hi Isces

Did not see your post - but you bring up a interesting question for me as I have been looking at CMSs and have not come across Bitweaver before which I will look at. I was very interested in Typolight - any  idea how they compare?

Ta

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-10-23

Hello, Jean:
    I can't answer all your questions.

AVI support should work, but you might need to configure your browser to tell it what to do with this file type.

WMV and FLV are also supported.  For FLV, you'll need to have the Lightbox module installed.  Having the JWplayer module installed wouldn't hurt either.

You're talking to the wrong end of the horse when you ask me about iframes.

Centering titles in blocks should be easy.  You'll need to modify the templates in "includes/foo/templates" to suit.  Change the class of the div from "blockhc" to "blockhc center".

Alternatively, change each theme's style.css file.  Add a text alignment specification to the "blockhc" definition.  I don't recommend this.

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-24

HI  Gerry

Thanks ever so much. Much appreciated.

"Change the class of the div from "blockhc" to "blockhc center"." done for both template files - works for the user welcome in the welcome page but the portal welcome refuses to comply.

Had a quick look at BW on opensourcecms and it certainly it looks pretty comprehensive - like the way that you can choose layouts. Thanks Lester.

Jean

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-10-24

The blocks on the main Welcome page are cached. 

You'll need to clear the cache from the Configure page for the main Welcome screen.  You can also do this by deleting the "cache" subdirectory from the "Cleanup Index directory" menu option on the Admin Menu page.

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-25

Sorry but:

"clear the cache from the Configure page for the main Welcome
    screen" - Not sure what you're referring to here, where is the Configure page located?. I've looked at GEDCOM Basics on the GEDCOM Configuration page and can't see a clear cache option.

"deleting the "cache" subdirectory from the "Cleanup Index directory" menu option on the Admin Menu page."

I can see the function  clearCache() in index_cache.php but can't see a reference to it in Admin / Cleanup Index directory. It lists log and sql and other files but nothing that says "cache subdirectory'.

Jean

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-25

Sorry found the clear cache on the CUSTOMIZE THIS GEDCOM WELCOME PAGE after clicking on the Customize this GEDCOM Welcome page..

But it's the MyGedView Portal Welcome message title  that doesn't want be centred:

Welcome Jean (left aligned)

My Account (centred)

Customize MyGedView Portal (centred)

25 October 2009 - 2:10:22pm (centred)

Jean

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2009-10-25

On the "Cleanup Index directory" page, you will see an entry "cache".  That's it.

However, caching of blocks only occurs for the main Welcome page, and not for each user's Portal page.  Clearing the cache obviously won't affect any of the Portal page blocks.

It looks as if your installation's copy of "blocks/user_welcome.php" isn't the correct version.  It should be version 4880, dated 2009-01-23.

Is your full name on your site just "Jean", or is it entered properly with given names and surname?  On my site, the User Welcome block's title shows the full name.

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-25

Thanks Gerry

Is the centring working for you on the Portal view for the title?

user_welcome.php:
    "   * @version $Id: user_welcome.php 4880 2009-01-23 08:44:54Z fisharebest $  "

Yes it shows my full name in the MyGedview Portal, I shortened it so as not show my surname above.

From what I observe looking at the  files in the blocks directory it's **gedcom_block.php**  though that controls the user welcome title for the MyGedView Portal Welcome message   -  * Gedcom Welcome Block  -  * @version $Id: gedcom_block.php 4880 2009-01-23 08:44:54Z fisharebest $

What's wrong with this blasted editor - why has it italicised the text?

I think that it's something to do with the function print_gedcom_block code because as mentioned elsewhere nothing I've tried seems to work (see MyGedView - User Welcome post).

Also notice that the title centring does not work for the other blocks either which it should (gedcom stats, On This Day, My Favorites, Random Picture etc..)  - not even the title you enter into the News block.

News (left aligned)

Welcome to the ………… Website (left aligned)

10 October 2009 - 6:48:37pm (ditto)

cache

Definitely does not show up in Cleanup Index directory and when I look in the index directory on my hard drive there is no cache subdirectory created and never has been.

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-28

Hi

Is the cache subdirectory not being created a bug?  Does this have any consequence on speed and performance?

Any luck in sorting out tne centering of blocks in the MyGedView Portal page?

Jean