Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Rebuilding the PGV Database

2013-02-26
2013-05-30
  • Peter Cassidy
    Peter Cassidy
    2013-02-26

I'm moving my PGV site to a new platform. I have all the files from the old platform including a recent backup except the mysql database. I have copied all the files from the old platform to the new one and have PGV running. The installation instructions say "the database can be rebuilt from the files in the backup." How do I do this?

Peter Cassidy

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-02-26

correct

the database can be rebuilt from the files in the backup

. If you already imported the GEDCOM within a new installation, (family tree), you have rebuilt the database to the extent available, unless you made a SQL backup, as is suggested. Only the SQL backup will have NEWS, RESEARCH, MESSAGES, USER LIST & INFO and TODO, as well as your PLACE LOCATIONS from Google Map.  These tables are completely separate from any data retained by PGV. For complete restoration, a copy of the database is necessary. Otherwise, you will certainly lose your users and history.

Also, have you also considered moving to webtrees? That program is under development, unlike PGV which is, politely termed as currently stagnant. It retains ALL the data in the SQL DB and is optimized to do so. Therefore it is a bit faster, especially with larger family trees (those over 15-20,000 INDI's).

• Peter Cassidy
    Peter Cassidy
    2013-02-26

Thanks. I wondered about backing up the mysql database. I could have done it easily. At least I have the core data. I will check out webtrees.