Upgrade 4.2.0 to 4.2.2 major error

J.Snijder
2009-09-10
2013-05-30
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • J.Snijder
    J.Snijder
    2009-09-10

I've upgraded from 4.2.0 to 4.2.2 in the past I've never had any problem with upgrades, but now I've got a major problem, my total pedigree site is down, beneath is the error message I get.

ERROR 256: PDO/mysql is not installed.

Fatal error: PDO/mysql is not installed. in D:\forumroot\stamboom\includes\classes\class_pgv_db.php on line 108

• antiqueone
    antiqueone
    2009-11-12

The wiki gives no insructions for upgrading to 4.2.x. Luckily I had no preoblems with my upgrade but if there are special requirements for the upgrade where are they?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2009-11-12

Antique  
    These forums, the WIKI and PGV itself are developed, maintained, modified and supported by a small group of dedicated programmers and a few testers/helpers. Your **BOLD** statement that there exist no instructions in the WIKI or no previous posts about 'special requirements', when in fact, many hours went into producing the necessary support information, and the help that is includied with the downloads and provided in these forums is frankly insulting to those volunteers.  Much like our armed services in the USA - dedicated men and women do a job that is under-appreciated and underpaid - just like PGV's programmers.  Hopefully you'll grow to appreciate the unusual level of support provided here for a totally **FREE** and capable piece of software, and when you do, speak appreciatively and ask with respect.  If you are unable to locate assistance, again - simply ask as its usually provided here (under the HELP forum) quite quickly, and when you become an adapt PGV-ite, perhaps you'll consider assisting others with updating the WIKI and giving thoughtful guidance to those admins who are still learning the software and its many, complex capabilities.  JOHO, Stephen

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2009-11-12

<<Much like our armed services in the USA>>

And in the interests of balance, much like the armed services of many other countries….

<<just like PGV's programmers>>

Fortunately, they only shoot at us metaphorically ;-)

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-11-13

The usual problem with wiki's is that it can be difficult to find some information if you do not know what t search for, but the PGV wiki IS fairly complete and DOES have a link to the upgrade page from the installation guides. The only thing I found a little more difficult is the instructions where PDO is not available - install 4.2.1 - but all the download links now point you to 4.2.X which is 4.2.2. While on one hand directing to the current version makes sense, the original problem on this thread was to do with PDO, and so the fall back should be accessible.

Now I should probably simply correct this - after all it is a wiki - but the 4.2.1 download page would appear not to exist and I'm not sure the best way to restore it without messing up the current flow?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2009-11-13

And just how is the previous version link not listed? Almost every previous version is still listed, on the FILES menu.  

v4.2.1 is listed:  

[https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/files/1%20PhpGedView/PhpGedView%20v4.2.1/PhpGedView-all-4.2.1.zip/download

: https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpgedview/files/1%20PhpGedView/PhpGedView%20v4.2.1/PhpGedView-all-4.2.1.zip/download  "v4.2.1"

Likewise for every stable release:  
    v.4.2, v4.1.7, v4.1.6, v4.1.5, v4.1.4, v4.1.4, v4.0.2, v3.3.8 and v2.65.4  

-Stephen](http://text)

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-11-13

*IF* you are a new user coming to a project would you know to start digging around in SF?
    I was talking about the WIKI here, and following the links in there. NONE of those would take you to SF files section. One gets taken to the 4.2.1 release page, but the download link from there redirects you to 4.2.2 - so perhaps all that is needed is a link to SF from that page?

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-11-13

dxradio - Thinking about this again - it does need a Download_v4.2.1 as there is rather a lot of important information on the 4.2.x page. With the current state of flux in PDO - a lot of ISP's may be unwilling to deploy it, and so a PDO free version does need to be easily accessible.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2009-11-13

Guys  
    I think you missed the point. The WIKI was never intended to be the 'end all' for PGV. It was always an additional HELP to the program itself and to these SF pages. Long before it existed, the ONLY place to download files and acquire information was this SF site. This remains so for most activities. It would be nice if more admins took a moment and committed updates to the WIKI, but as it too is of a volunteer nature, its unlikely it will remain a perfect solution.  

If you were a NEWBiE to PGV, how did you acquire the program in the first place if not from here?  How did you learn about the WIKI if you didn't locate a link to it here?  Prior to installation of a new program, would you not read about its requirements ?  etc  

I did no't wish to appear to be argumentative, but rather I just pointed out that these files were and are readily available when it was stated that they were not.  I felt it important for those who might use these forums for research about the program before installation as it would help direct them to the proper location to DL files, not some estranged link in a WIKI that may or may not be current.  

Again this is an example of a very small support group, stretched beyond its limits, to maintain something that simply exists to assist. IMHO, it just seems that there is an awful lot of whining about missing things (that frequently are not) from people who have never even contributed time, talent or monies ( or even a thank you) - present company excluded.  
    Stephen

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-11-13

Stephen - CURRENTLY a new user will be directed to phpgedview.net as a starting point? THIS now uses the wiki for all of it's following links,and at no point is a new user directed to SF until they have actually selected a file on the download page. However if they find that they can't use 4.2.2 because of the problems PDO can cause, then they do hit something of a brick wall as the links to download 4.2.1 redirect you back to 4.2.2.

If I find time later I WILL fix this in the wiki by adding a cloan of the 4.2.2 page with 4.2.1 links (although I'm not sure I have the necessary permission? ) and improve the warnings about making sure PDO is installed before using 4.2.2. However currently my own time is a little stretched with producing an outline for actually making PDO work as an alternative the Firebird generic driver, and I doubt that this will be possible with the current PDO API. It needs some rather more major structural changes if it is going to support more than a single connection/transaction. This is a distraction from my commercial activity which has been using ADOdb perfectly stably across several databases for a number of years. PDO is STILL at an experimental stage on most database engines, or simply not supported. There is now a separate development list working on the problems with PDO and working out how it can be fixed so that some of the other drivers can be made to work transparently.

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-11-13

I've just hit a little question mark while adding a 4.2.1 download page. The installation guide also needs rolling back, but in that it says 'this is the last version that supports PHP4'. At what point was PHP4 support lost, was this 4.2.1, and if so, can we flag that download page as a 'solution' for users who are still locked into PHP4 only contracts?

I've cloaned the 4.2.x page and updated it to 4.2.1 links …

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2009-11-13

Lester  
    Looks like the cloaning knocked out the link to:  
    http://wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php?title=Upgrading

In the Upgrade Guide, it clearly marks v4.1.7 as the last stable release to support PHP4: 
    "If you have an older version of PHP, you should install PhpGedView 4.1.7. This was the last version to run on PHP4."

Where in the installation guide does it say it supports PHP4?

-Stephen

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2009-11-13

Isces - I've just updated the front page at phpgedview.net so that the "upgrading" link now points to the correct page in the wiki ("Upgrading", rather than "Upgrading From 4.0 To 4.1")

This page is up-to-date, and I maintain it.  It clearly states that the latest version you can use with PHP4 is 4.1.7, and that the latest version you can use without PDO is 4.2.1.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2009-11-13

I restored the link on the upgrade page on the WIKI. 
    -Stephen

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-11-13

On the 'Installation guide 4.2.x' - The paragraph about requirements - PHP5.2+ -
    This has the line about it being the last version that supports PHP4. I think that with the other changes to links, this sentence just needs removing - it is followed by a warning about PDO drivers being needed anyway.

The flow from the main page seems a little strange. The links in the news articles do not take you to the same pages as going direct from the menu, So that the 'upgrade' page can be missed if simply look at the latest version. I'm tempted to drop an 'upgrading from' link into the news items?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2009-11-13

Lester  
    Sorry, Maybe I'm blind or simply can't understand you and where you are looking. The 'Installation Guide 4.2.x' does not help me at all locate what you are discussing. Nor do I understand your comments on the NEWS or the 'flow from the main page' comment.  Actual links would be much more helpful if we are trying to remedy your concerns without wasting much time.  
    -Stephen

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2009-11-13

Lester 
    1) I think you are relying entirely too much on the WIKI. As I pointed out near the top of this thread, documentation and WIKI updating is voluntary. I've used PGV for over 5 years and never once did I visit the MAIN Page, nor do I frequent the site regularly. I think I'm more characteristic of the average admin.  
    2) It seems to me that nothing there is misleading, nor misdirecting. It clearly indicates that "if upgrading from a previous installation, click here" and takes you to the rather lengthy and well-defined upgrading process for all versions from 3 up. It also clearly defines system requirements and installation options should the admin be unable to conform to the current requirements.  
    Thanks for the change, although I never saw the comment.  
    -Stephen

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2009-11-13

Five years ago the wiki did not exist. Two years ago you would have gone to the other website and a different front end. A year ago things were all being moved to the wiki and that work is - as far as I can see - now complete? So today the wiki IS the website?

I have no problems tidying things up on the wiki and all I AM doing is pointing out how things look today. The links I used last year no longer exist, so I've had to change them to point TO the wiki. I'm just asking before I go in and change things since other people may have other plans ….

• Stephen

"1) I think you are relying entirely too much on the WIKI."

I see lots of people putting in their effort and talent in making Wiki a relatively complete and authoritative source. I feel that neglecting them is as bad as not acknowledging the effort of the developers. Of course without developers, the software would not exists, but without a good manual, it is only half as usable as it could be. I would encourage everybody to add notes of changes and new features in Wiki, even if in short and simple form.. I think PhpGedView moved quite a while ago from a small project to a widely used Open Source, and a Wiki is the first place a newbie goes to look (or so has he/she been trained). I believe we - the non-developers - should and do rely on Wiki .

-_Marek

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)