Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

QUAY

Thomas52
2013-02-25
2013-05-30
  • Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2013-02-25

Does anyone use QUAY  - an assessment of the certainty of the evidence - or any other form of rating of the reliability of data or source?  How do you use it, and how do you feel about the results of such a rating?

• Stuart.G
    Stuart.G
    2013-02-25

I use it infrequently. The problem is it is personally judgemental and of no use to anyone else. I only use it to indicate both ends of the spectrum. I use a '0' (zero) for SOURces that have been discredited/wrong and I use '4' to indicate the SOURce is accurate/reliable. I don't use intermediate values.

Stuart

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-02-25

Pretty much a subjective analysis, but regardless, the GEDCOM standard suggests reasons for each, from 0 to 3 (not a 4) and no other characters or comment.

CERTAINTY_ASSESSMENT:= {Size=1:1}

The QUAY tag's value conveys the submitter's quantitative evaluation of the credibility of a piece of
    information, based upon its supporting evidence. Some systems use this feature to rank multiple
    conflicting opinions for display of most likely information first. It is not intended to eliminate the
    receiver's need to evaluate the evidence for themselves.
    0 = Unreliable evidence or estimated data
    1 = Questionable reliability of evidence (interviews, census, oral genealogies, or potential for bias
    for example, an autobiography)
    2 = Secondary evidence, data officially recorded sometime after event
    3 = Direct and primary evidence used, or by dominance of the evidence

-Stephen