Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Cannot delete GEDCOM

MoiGaijin
2011-02-11
2013-05-30
  • MoiGaijin
    MoiGaijin
    2011-02-11

Click on Delete button on admin page to delete Gedcom, some of my GEDCOM could be deleted, but two of them could not be deleted despite numerous tries. The process just went normal, but the item is still there, no error message whatsoever. Can someone give me any hint? Or at least where to check log for this so I can investigate what really happened? Or, is there a manual way to delete a gedcom if all other ways fail?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-02-11

That would be an "ownership" problem.  You'll have to get your server support to delete these files for you.

• MoiGaijin
    MoiGaijin
    2011-02-11

I have been reading manuals and searching regarding this issue, and I found that the "Delete" button on "Manage GEDCOMs and edit Privacy" deletes the data from database, but does not delete the files. So it does not seem to be file permission issues. Furthermore, I could delete other GEDCOM files I uploaded, only these 2 files failed to be deleted. Any idea?

• MoiGaijin
    MoiGaijin
    2011-02-11

I suspected that this is due to GEDCOM file name.
    I tried uploading two exactly same GEDCOM files, but I changed the file name of one of these two into the file name of GEDCOM files I have not been able to delete, e.g., "Tarombo Batak (from Tarombo.com, cleaned, NAME cleaned) 4.ged".
    Then I tried to delete the two files I just uploaded, the result is one file could be deleted, but the other one which has the long name could not be deleted.
    Any idea GEDCOM with certain file names got into this problem, and how to remove these?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-02-11

On the Admin page, there's a link "Cleanup Index directory ".  Try using that.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-02-11

This topic should have been posted in the "Help" forum, since you were actually asking for help.

• MoiGaijin
    MoiGaijin
    2011-02-12

Sorry for posting in a wrong forum.
    In "Cleanup Index directory", files related to these particular GEDCOM are marked as "required for proper operation and cannot be removed".  As far as I understand, this "Cleanup Index directory" only delete files that are no longer needed as the related GEDCOM has been deleted from database via "Manage GEDCOMs and edit Privacy". My problem now is that I could not delete the GEDCOM via "Manage GEDCOMs and edit Privacy".

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-02-12

The several files in the INDEX folder are telling the "Manage GEDCOMs…." pages that these GEDCOMs still exist, whether they do or they don't.  In the INDEX folder, the YourGEDCOM.ged_conf.php and the YourGEDCOM.ged_priv.php files contain important information about setup, as does the gedcoms.php file.  You can wipe any reference to your gedcoms by deleting the first two and manually editing the third, removing references to the GEDCOMs you no longer wish to remain.

Be sure retain backup copies of the original files should you make a mistake and need to restore.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-02-12

What PGV is telling you is that the GEDCOM in question is still listed in the "index/gedcoms.php" file.  This can be confirmed by looking at the Manage GEDCOMs page - is there still an entry here?  If so, the "Delete" you attempted didn't work.  Try again.

If you're certain that the database tables contain nothing related to that "deleted" GEDCOM, you can edit file "index/gedcoms.php" manually (outside PhpGedView) to remove the entries related to this GEDCOM, and then try the "Cleanup Index directory" operation again.