Option to highlight decendants

2010-01-04
2013-05-30
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-04

Does anyone know of an option to highlight decendants - eg for tracing the origins or hereditary problems.. or the other way round, tracing the possibility of there being a hereditary problem? Or can anyone think of a way to do this?

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2010-01-04

Sharon  
    Highlight?   Do you simply wish to know descendants?  If so, find the patriarch and use the Descendancy Chart, setting the # of generations.  If rather the reverse (living person has a medical issue and wants to know from where it may have come), then navigate to the current INDI and use either the Pedigree Chart or the Ancestry Chart. You can also look at Branches or at the interactive tree tab.  

My aunt recently asked about a rare Dutch blood disease with recessive gene roots discovered in two of her sons. We were able to trace it back through her lines using the Ancestry Chart.  
    -Stephen

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-04

I do want to know decendants but I need to display them as my database is for a rare horse breed and people need to be able to see certain lines clearly.  I know this isn't meant for animals but so far it works well…. this is the one sticking point!

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-04

Or.. if I could simply add a colour by hand to a certain name …

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2010-01-04

Sharon  
    TMK, there is no feature for marking names with a color. You could use the  AKA or NICK fields or even Roman or Hebrew fields or add 2nd/3rd4th Name field as a 2nd/3rd/4th identifier.  NICK would show in the displayed name and the others could be searchable. 

If you wished, you could use an existing TAG or create a custom TAG for the facts/events portion of the horse's history which would also then be searchable.  

We did this for my sister on her Stabyhoun lines (only about 250 in the USA), but she did not wish to maintain it and instead set up a club and a website. We may add it back there at some time.  
    Stephen

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-04

They both sound like usable options - I wil ltry it - they won't be as clear as I'd hoped but better than nothing - I might have to come back to you if it isn't easy though! - Thanks very much.. I will have a play.

• kiwi_pgv
    kiwi_pgv
    2010-01-04

Have you looked at the "Branches" option, under the "Lists" menus?

It clearly identifies the 'blood lines".

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2010-01-04

You can add an asterisk to the last name, which would appear in the gedcom as: John /Lastname*/ -   
    however appears in a list as: John (underline)Lastname(/underline)  
    For an example, see  
    http://www.adkins9.net/branches.php?surn=brooks

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2010-01-05

Thomas' reply indicates that it IS possible to highlight names in colour.  Unfortunately, this would also highlight starred given names. 

Starred given names indicate the preferred name.  For instance, I'm called by the third of my given names.  To indicate this, I could add a star suffix to the third given name in my GEDCOM record.

To make starred names appear in colour, you need to change the "style.css" file for each theme.  The CSS class is "starredname".  Just add the desired foreground and background colours.  There are examples of the correct syntax nearby.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2010-01-05

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Sharon is looking for identifying lineage, perhaps within a quick color reference within the name structure, but different colors for different lines (as if she was watching but one line, she'd have no reason to highlight it).  I could be wrong, but the starred-name solution, even if modified in CSS, would provide her with the ability to track only one line.

ISTM that Kiwi's advice on branches and somehow using a NICK or AKA as an additional identifier, would be a better solution for multiple lines.  If the AKA was used for lineage, "Seabiscuit", then every horse that was a descendant of Seabiscuit would be searchable within the database on a single name basis, as the horse names will eventually no longer contain the parental name as part of its heritage as they assume subsequent breeders.   .  
    -Stephen

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-05

Hi all and thanks so much for the input -  I like the sound of 'Okbigkids' reply but I will have to try these out as I need something that is visible all of the time from the indivuals entry through to the charts.  I'm sure there will be plenty of questions along the way as I start but will be in touch soon.  Anymore suggestions of course will be looked at. 

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-05

Ok - I've started looking at these and have fallen at the first hurdle! - Thomas - where on earth is the Branches option under lists? - I don't hav eone?  Here's my database

: http://merrylegsfalabellas.com/phpgedview/individual.php?pid=I2&ged=theFalabellaDatabase

• Mark Hattam
    Mark Hattam
    2010-01-05

You're using v4.1.5 of phpGedView … that doesn't have the "branches" list.

The current version is v4.2.3

Mark

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-05

Gosh is there anything bad to look out for when I upgrade? - I suppose I'd better do that first!

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2010-01-05

You must upgrade to 4.2.x to have branches, however I have used the starred/underlined 'preferred' names since the get-go.  Upgrading is easy - follow the instructions - make sure you have a good backup of your gedcom file first.  You will need to re-import upgrading from 4.1.x to 4.2.x.

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2010-01-05

P.S.  I noticed you use a phpgedview directory to your domain.  I have found it easier to install to a new directory such as pgv2, and after all goes well, delete the original and rename the later directory  (remembering to correct the config.php as well.)  Upgrading from 4.1.x to 4.2.x , you will need to re-import, so make sure you have a good backup of your gedcom file.  Also remember to backup and copy your media (images) folder. 

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-05

Thanks for the reply Thomas - I wlil do this very carefully indeed - should I just use the control panel backup or has phpgedview got its own? - Sorry but I've never looked! - I usually do the control panel one as it does the databases as well.

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2010-01-05

naturalp - Part of the trick is to leave the existing site in place, so you can pinch things from it as you need. In my case, I just created a new directory for 'phpgedview423' and unzipped the new site to it. You should then be able to 'backup' the gedcom file and reinstall that on the new site. Then I copied the contents of the media sub directory into the new site,

The bit of this I am not sure off - since I don't have the user table in my setup and pull that from elsewhere - is how your existing user table data is transfered over. I would expect to create a copy of the existing database and use that, but you do not want the old gedcom tables popultated. So can someone fill in the 'hole' ? I can't see anything about it in the upgrade notes?

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-05

I can't either and was just trying to work this out but I think I just must use the original database - if I have the backup it should not be a problem - I don't see why the two seperate geds shouldn't be able to access one table for a while?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2010-01-05

Naturalp:

When you're setting up a new site to run in parallel with the old, you should use a different database table name prefix.  You DON'T want the PGV 4.2.3 installation to modify ANY of the existing database tables.

When you're upgrading, you first ensure that the GEDCOM in the old installation matches the contents of the database.  Do this by exporting the database in the old installation.  You can download this newly created GEDCOM if you wish, but that's not really necessary.

You can copy the contents of the old "index" directory to the new so that you'll be using identical GEDCOM configurations.  You'll need to import the existing GEDCOM file into the new database.  There's no need to re-upload it.

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2010-01-05

> I don't see why the two seperate geds
    > shouldn't be able to access one table
    > for a while?

This is a bad idea.  A newer version of PGV can/will automatically update the database structure, update config files, etc.  Using old code on a new database could cause "hard to fix" problems.

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-05

So - I've copied the index directory and I do understand that I can create a new table for the new version but how do I copy the old data into the new table or import it?  I've backed it up from the old table…

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2010-01-05

Thanks, Greg, I KNEW I had forgotten something.  Changing from 4.1 to 4.2, and re-importing, usually means changes to the database.  SO, using a different database name (like "pgv423") means you can keep the old directory AND database - , i.e. "pgv41x") while setting up the new directory AND DB.  
    So you are not "copying the old data," but (mostly) re-building it.  Read the upgrade instructions, and pay heed to Greg & Gerry's guidance; I'm just giving a different ("dummie's") perspective to the procedure.   
    Anyway, make good backups, and go for it.

• Sharon Packer
    Sharon Packer
    2010-01-05

I've created the new database and installed the new program in another directory but can't find out how to export the data form the old one - although i can find the option in the new one to import Gedcom file! - Help? -

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2010-01-05

You do NOT export from the old to the new; you create a NEW database by importing the gedcom into the new installation                    all over again from scratch.  The 4.1.x and the 4.2.x software AND databases are DIFFERENT and not interchangeable (for the most part.)  That's why the old DB won't work with the new installation, and if you want to run two different versions, you will need to use two differently named databases.  
    Follow the instructions (for "upgrading,") copy your old media folder and index folder to the new directory, re-import your gedcom file (which creates the new DB,) double-check your config.php (if needed,) and you should be good for go,

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)