Site is currently unavailable

2012-05-13
2013-05-30
  • Bill Lancaster
    Bill Lancaster
    2012-05-13

My phpgedview database has been running nicely for a couple of years now but recently visitors just get "Site is currently unavailable"
    I can access all the files etc and there is plenty of storage capacity available.
    Any ideas would be appreciated,

• Lester Caine
    Lester Caine
    2012-05-13

url might be useful, but is this on a shared hosting site? Has the version of PHP been updated on it recently. Just been caught out on a couple of sites I look after when they switched to PHP5.3.10 without warning and short tag's get switched off. Should not be a problem except '<?='  also gets disabled as well!
    Can you access any file via the web browser, such as a phpinfo.php one just to check the DNS is OK …

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-05-13

You get the "site is unavailable" message when PGV can't connect to the database with the database connection values configured into the "config.php" file.

Using a suitable FTP client, download the "config.php" file.  Look at it with a text editor and verify that the database connection information is OK.  If necessary, make changes and then upload the modified config.php to replace what's already there.

If the connection information is OK, verify that the database is OK by running a utility such as phpmyadmin.

In other words, look for a database problem.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-05-13

By the way:
    This thread is in the wrong forum.  You're asking for help, so it should have been posted in the Help forum.