How to reduce the width of various columns

mz beg
2013-03-28
2013-05-30
  • mz beg
    mz beg
    2013-03-28

I am using 4.2.4 version.  The columns are unnecessarily too wide.  My question is how to reduce the width of various columns.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-03-28

The columns tend to adjust to accommodate the largest field that can be viewed, but more importantly, don't use v4.2.4. Upgrade now to either v4.3 SVN (as shown in the help forum).
    -Stephen

• mz beg
    mz beg
    2013-03-29

I will give you the example to illustrate what I mean.  The first column on the left of the personal fact page, for BIRTH, down to LAST CHANGE, you can write BIRTH at least 30 times and so on and so forth. And the next column is at least 3 times wider than the first.

If I upgrade to v4.3 SVN, do I have to uninstall v4.2.4 or would this new version over write the old one. Please advice.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-03-29

v4.2.4 is no longer supported, so if you don't upgrade, you'll probably not receive replies. v4.2.4 is three years old.
    Frankly PGV is not being maintained or updated, except for easy to fix and obvious problems. You may find the look and feel of webtrees to be very similar, but it is really only the skinning that makes it so. It is primarily a database-based program with over 3,000 major changes to the code. It is optimized and handles large gedcoms handily. With the latest release, the admin media handling has also now been optimized and can quickly present media file counts in excess of 1,000 objects. PGV slows down with even 500 and I have over 7000 which present promptly.

That said, which columns, where? But again, its unlikely you can change it as much of the displays in PGV are hard-coded where webtrees uses much more CSS.

Read the thread on the upgrade, but yes, it is pretty much a drop-in replacement. BACKUP your gedcom and your database to maintain the ability to restore, should something go wrong, but thousands have done so without any hiccup.

-Stephen