Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Unrecognized GEDCOM Code: _PHOTO

urbanvegan
2009-07-04
2013-05-30
  • urbanvegan
    urbanvegan
    2009-07-04

I had uploaded a GEDCOM I exported off of Ancestry.com.  The error appears on all entries that had photos.  The error is *also* appearing after I upload a new photo to an entry, even and entry that didn't have any photo attached before. 

Does anyone know what is causing this, and how it could be fixed?  I'm using a mysql database which checked out fine during the install process.

Unless I figure this out I'm going to have to go with private software for my site :-(

• kiwi_pgv
      kiwi_pgv
      2009-07-04

Its actually quite simple. _PHOTO is a non-standard GEDCOM tag. It doesn't exist in the official specification, and not in PGV. Its something ancestry has invented.

To fix this you have a few choices:
      1 - the easiest. If everything else about your data is working OK, go to "Manage GEDCOMs and edit Privacy" -->Display and Layout --> Hide and Show --> Hide GEDCOM errors.  Set it to "Yes".

2 - If you want to display this tag, read the WIKI pages on "Language extensions", create a languages/extra.en.php file, and include a line similar to this in it:
      $factarray["_PHOTO"] = "Whatever you want it to be called goes here";

3 - Edit your GEDCOM file before import and remove those tags (or convert them to a correct tag instead).

• urbanvegan
        urbanvegan
        2009-07-04

I appreciate the response kiwi_pgv

I do not see a "Display and Layout" option after going to "Manage GEDCOMS and edit Privacy".  I installed version 4.2.1.

• kiwi_pgv
      kiwi_pgv
      2009-07-04

Sorry, I missed a step
      "Manage GEDCOMs and edit Privacy" -->Edit -->Display and Layout --> Hide and Show --> Hide GEDCOM errors. Set it to "Yes".

• urbanvegan
        urbanvegan
        2009-07-05

Yes, there it is, and that was helpful, thank you. 

I am still not getting the photos I upload thru the web interface to show up on the main entry page.  I can see them if I click on the "media" tab, but even if I have chosen to create a thumbnail (and get a success message), the image does not appear with the vital information, or in the Ancestry Chart.

• Stephen Arnold
      Stephen Arnold
      2009-07-05

So, what are the tags in the GEDCOM? Does each image have a
      1 OBJE @Mxxxx@   tag in the INDI or FAM record and a corresponding 0 @Mxxxx@ OBJE tag for general application?
      Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
      Gerry Kroll
      2009-07-05

Did you tell PhpGedView which individual the photo should be linked to?  You do this on the Edit screen -- click "Edit" on the Manage Media page.

When you upload a picture, you only deliver it to the server's file system.  The media object, which is in the database, is only created when you edit the information about the picture.

• urbanvegan
        urbanvegan
        2009-07-05

Interesting... I happened to log out and in again and got a popup window asking to review changes to the database.  I accepted all and then my thumbnails showed up on the main entries.  It will be a little bit of a pain if I always have to do that, but now that I see it does work this is beginning to look like something I can use.  Much thanks to everyone who has worked on this.  I might be able to join in in some way in the future.  I only have a bit of experience with javascript and Ruby so far but might be able to write documentation here.  That is if you are wanting any. :-)

• Gerry Kroll
      Gerry Kroll
      2009-07-05

By the way:
      This is a "help" question, and should have been posted in the Help forum.

• kiwi_pgv
      kiwi_pgv
      2009-07-05

You don't need to do that all the time - and as you see its not very helpful having to accept your own edits. It is however VERY useful when you have other people editting your data.

Go to your User Account details and look for "Auto accept changes by this user" (or similar) and set it to 'Yes", and the problem will disappear, just for you. You can of course do the same with any other users you trust that much!

As to documentation, we always need help with that. The WIKI pages are probably the best place to do it. You can get a log in for that when you are ready and start adding stuff.

(ps  -welcome aboard :-) )

• Michael
    Michael
    2009-09-12

Is there any thoughts on this problem?  I have the same issue.

• Michael
    Michael
    2009-09-12

Okay…the forum did not show the full thread when doing a search and then I replied.  Then the rest of the thread came up.