New Module: Family Story

nimebe
2007-01-21
2013-05-30
  • nimebe
    nimebe
    2007-01-21

I've written a module for PGV called Family Story. Family Story helps family members (your users) write an autobiography by prompting them with questions about their lives. As they type their stories, users are able to share them with others on your site.

A couple of sites that do something similar to this are:
    MyLifeStory.org
    lifebio.com

This is my first beta release so I would appreciate very much any help finding bugs, more features, more questions, and more categories. Any feedback is appreciated.

I've posted the file for download in the Patches section of the PGV Source Forge Site, under the same title as this post.

I hope you enjoy.

Nick

• Jan Boesgaard
      Jan Boesgaard
      2007-01-22

Do you have any place where one can download and see thise module?

/lordrebuse

• nimebe
      nimebe
      2007-01-22

Yes, on the site you are currently reading this on, click the "Tracker" tab under where is says phpGedView, then select Patches. There is a Patch posted there called, "New Module: Family Story." Click on the title of that patch. There is a link to download the file at the bottom of that patch page.

I think if there is enough community desire for the module we'll be able to eventually post it in the regular download section of the phpGedView site, so please, let us know what you like, don't like, would like etc.

Nick

• Fieke
      Fieke
      2007-02-02

Hi Nick,

thanks for making Family Story!

I have a request though:

I would really LOVE to have a possibility to write stories for already deceased familymembers/ancestors - they can no longer write their own stories.

I have spent the entire evening and night looking for something that would let me write biographies and link to them from inside PGV. At last I thought of looking on the forum and there it was, your Family Story module. Am I right when I think, that the only way now to have an ancestor tell his/her story, is by creating a user that links to their Individual page?

It would also be great if the story could be displayed on the Individuals page, because that way it could be included when I want to print a book(let). Maybe it could have its own tab? Or mix it in with the Personal Facts and Details?

And a question...: is it possible to use HTML in the stories, ie. mix in a photograph or something or link to an existing OBJE or external website/file?

Please be assured that I am VERY happy with your efforts! I really feel this can be a HUGE addition to phpGedView, especially for those amongst us who are not only genealogists, but true family historians as well.

Kind regards, keep up the good work and thanks again!

Fieke

• nimebe
        nimebe
        2007-02-02

I like the idea of having stories linkable to family deceased family members, but I think I'd like to go a little further. We should be able to like a story to all family members that are included in the story. I also like the idea of having the stories associated with a person shown on a tab on the individual page. I don't want to add it to the Personal Facts and Details because I think that would clutter that page and cause something to get lost in the shuffle. This is not a small undertaking so I will add it to my list for v2.0 features. I need to make sure I get a stable v1.0 released before I start on something this big.

HTML is already possible. You can either type the html yourself, or you can upload the FCKeditor module for PGV. Installing the FCKeditor will automatically activate the editor within Family Story. Currently, you can not upload images, but you can link to them if they are hosted online already. Once the FCKeditor module is installed, you can select between the basic and default toolbars in the the FS Admin area.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Nick

• Wes Groleau
          Wes Groleau
          2007-08-24

Might I suggest....?

Put a "Link To" button somewhere on the module's screen/page/window (what do we call these things?).

User highlights text in the story (a name, date, event, etc.)

Click button, and a popup allows you to find the PGV page you want to link to (and/or directly enter parameters like xref ID number) 

Click OK, and the highlighted text is wrapped by the link HTML for that PGV page, with the title attribute being a brief idea of what you'll get if you click the link (for the sake of the "tooltip" that most browsers will pop up on hover)

If this is unclear, e-mail me and I'll show you the code that another open-source tools is using for a similar function.

• Stephen Arnold
      Stephen Arnold
      2007-08-24

nimebe
      It would seem to me that ou wish the Family Story concept to function much like the OBJE/Media tab. The DB holds the OBJE information and allows multiple links to INDI's under the MEDIA tab. For instance, a FAM MEDIA OBJE is also found linked on both the HUSB and WIFE INDI media tabs. (Sometimes, I wish it were found on ALL the members of that FAM group, not just the HUSB/WIFE.)

If you added a table, held the info about an OBJE that was the story itself, it could then link under a STORY tab or even appropriately the MEDIA tab, as a story is a form of media, just written form rather than a photo or document scan (more common media items).

JOHO, Stephen

• Wes Groleau
        Wes Groleau
        2007-09-08

Couldn't a text file/HTML snippet be considered a type of media itself?

I have quite a bit of biographical and/or narrative text about the family.

I have kept it separate in the past and put URIs in GEDCOM NOTEs.

• fredf
      fredf
      2007-09-08

Add my vote for the ability to link the "story" to an individual/family and the addition of a "Story" tab to the individual's/family's page.  I have numerous instances of extended narrative about a family or family member.  This would provide a convenient vehicle for handling this type of data.  

• Meliza Amity
      Meliza Amity
      2007-09-09

Hi Nick,

At least the following language variables should be removed from fs_lang.en.php.
      They cause PhpGedView not to show the variable in languages on other PhpGedView pages.

$pgv_lang["admin"]    = "Administer";
      $pgv_lang["active"] = "Active";
      $pgv_lang["edit"] = "Edit";
      $pgv_lang["submit"] = "Submit";
      $pgv_lang["active"] = "Active:";
      $pgv_lang["reset"] = "Reset";

I have created language file fs_lang.hb.php, but I do not see the Family Story page texts in Hebrew on the Hebrew page.

Meliza

• Wes Groleau
        Wes Groleau
        2008-01-09

> I have created language file fs_lang.hb.php, but I do not see the
        > Family Story page texts in Hebrew on the Hebrew page.

Isn't it supposed to be  fs_lang.he.php

• Meliza Amity
          Meliza Amity
          2008-02-11

Wes, yes.

The file is indeed fs_lang.he.php.
          The Hebrew user sees the Family Story in English.
          No other language files are added, so I do not know if they would work.

Meliza

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-01

Added this note to the Tracker page:

Hi

Downloaded and installed the module - sounds like just what I wanted.

It's giving me this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getListOf() on a non-object in
    G:\xampp\htdocs\PhpGed\modules\family_story\fs_functions.php on line 372

Jean

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2009-10-01

I guess this module is not compatible with the latest version of PGV.  You should contact the module's author to ask if they plan to update it.

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-14

Hi

I've been in touch with Nicholas (the author of the module) and he no longer has time to look after it.

Was wandering if anyone had the time or inclination look into the error  thrown up by the module. Line 372 of fsfunctions.php is:

$data = $DBCONN->getListOf('tables');

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2009-10-14

This line is an indication that the module uses the Pear::DB library.  We no longer use/support this.

It is not just a question of changing this one line.  There will be many more.

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-14

Cheers Greg

I'll delete it from my my files.

Tell me something though where would I start if I wanted to give a user his own page where he could write his stories, anecdotes etc… It wouldn't be published until he was ready and then have perhaps the option of making it public or private for viewing say to only immediate members of his family.

• maheshwar k
    maheshwar k
    2009-10-14

I am looking for fix as well. I am working with vendor to have it fix for me.
    If we make it ready will let you know.

• Victor H.
    Victor H.
    2009-10-15

Jean,

if I wanted to give a user his own page where he could write his stories, anecdotes etc…

The user can create Journal entries on his MyGedView Portal page. Only that user sees these journal entries. I don't know how to solve the rest of the problem, but that at least would give the user a whiteboard to record his or her stories and polish them up.

• potain
    potain
    2009-10-15

Hello Victor

Appreciate that very much - find something new to explore every day. I am sure that my users will find the Journal an asset.

It seems to suffer from the same ills as the News block when using FCK mentioned elsewhere. After a bit of hunting around I found user_blog.php and commented out $news = nl2br($news); on line 87.

Just one question though - I am logged in as admin and in CUSTOMIZE MYGEDVIEW PORTAL, I added the Journal to the Main Section Blocks and ticked Use these blocks as the default block configuration for all users?  and pressed continue.

The Journal comes up OK in my MyGedView Portal page but it doesn't show up when I log in as an editor. I know that the the editor can go through the same procedure to have the Journal show up but should it have shown up automatically after ticking that option?

Jean