Family Tree Intro

2012-04-08
2013-07-18
  • Warren Chow
    Warren Chow
    2012-04-08

I've read through some of the docs and *think* that this is what I'm looking for to have an online family tree, but am still confused.  Is there anyone who can contact me and give me a high-level tutorial as to what this is all about?  I have relatives all over the world so it would be great if I could set this up and send everyone a link so the family tree is always updated.  Thanks.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2012-04-08

You're on the right track, but since you're just starting out with publishing your family tree on the Internet so that it can be looked at by all of your relatives (and search engines too), you might be better off looking at Webtrees in preference to PhpGedView.

PhpGedView has been stagnant for over 2 years now, with almost no new stuff being added.  Occasional bug fixes are still being developed (but very slowly).  All the new stuff is being done to webtrees.  Webtrees started off with the PhpGedView source code, but quickly took off in a new direction about 2 1/2 years ago.

Do a Google search to find the webtrees site.  I think you'll be pleased with webtrees.  I don't use it myself - PGV does what I need it to do, and I don't see a strong reason to switch, particularly since I've been using and developing PGV since 2003.

• Irene Eng
      Irene Eng
      2013-07-18

Hi Gerry
      Hope all is well with you. I happened to see this. What would happen to PGV? Will is 'run' or 'survive' in the future, hopefully forever?
      Irene

• Stephen Arnold
        Stephen Arnold
        2013-07-18

Irene
        Nothing can go forever in software unless you hold the supporting platform stagnant as well. Don't upgrade to PHP 5.5 or more current SQL DBs, or change your operating system, and sure - it will continue to run with all the niggles within it. Likely nothing wrong will be fixed, no new features, no changes in presentation. Of course, all this is moot if you have a separate host as surely, at some point, they will update and your system will break.

I still have one Mac that can run System 1, one that runs System 7 and a couple that run System 9. I can open very old documents, read 3.5-inch floppies, old backup tapes and zip drives, but who wants too?

Unless and until another lead developer decides to adopt PGV and nurse, nurture and feed it, PGV is simply waiting to die as its supporting software advances, leaving it a fond memory. Great software needs great developers to keep it alive. Maybe one (or several) will take up the challenge, but until they do, software like webtrees is a much better solution for most. Version 1.5, yet another major rewrite, will be out in a couple of months and it utilizes the latest in PHP and SQL.

• Lester Caine
        Lester Caine
        2013-07-18

Gerry's post was 15 months ago, but it's probably indicative of the 'problems' many of us have been having over the last few years. I STILL have servers running PHP5.2 simply because running the code on a 5.4 machine requires too much work. The sites will be moved but there are only so many hours in the day. I am still maintaining my own port of PGV and have now decided that a move to webtrees is out of the question, so I will have a clean 5.4 build of PGV when time permits. Putting proper phpdoc documentation back into webtrees is a major exercise, so I'd rather work with the original code base and build from there. I'm intentionally ignoring PHP5.5 simply because there is no time to worry about yet another version when there are things like moving from smarty2 to smarty3 and living with the demand for the 'bootstrap' theme ... I've 'colourstrap' which restores the colour icons because that is what MY customers decided was better!

So watch this space - as soon as I've finished coping with the crap that has been added to the Linux desktop then I will be back to doing some REAL software development rather than just fire fighting!

• Warren Chow
    Warren Chow
    2012-04-09

Thank you for the reference to Webtrees and for providing the context to PGV.  I took a quick look and it appears to be what I'm looking for!  I can't wait to try and get my tree in motion.