Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Max. number of generations listed

2011-09-16
2013-05-30
  • Harald Bregel
    Harald Bregel
    2011-09-16

Quote from the German features list: "Mehr-Generation Stammbaum - Zeigen Sie so viele Generationen wie Sie möchten …"

This is either wrong or is misleading, dependent on your understanding of how yo can access "as many generations as you want". Several of the pull-down selection lists limit the number of listed generations to 10 generations.

Yes, the user can click on an arrow and maneuver through some of the trees and finally arrives at the oldest ancestor; this is not how I interpret the feature description on the German page at http://www.phpgedview.net/de/features.php

This prompts me to suggest that PhpGedView consistently allows to display any number of generations in the way like  some other menus offer with a wildcard "*" selection.

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-17

Neither the German nor the English "Features" pages have been updated in a very long time.  It's not likely that they ever will be.

If you're volunteering - That's nice, and good luck.

• Harald Bregel
    Harald Bregel
    2011-09-22

Before someone updates the features it should be clear what the features are. Some menus let you also select a wildcard '*' for the maximum number of generations, which I think is very good. Some menus limit the choices to a number lower or equal to 10 which for a family tree which goes back into the 1400ds or older is not sufficient.

This prompts me to suggest that PhpGedView consistently allows to display any number of generations in the way like some other menus offer with a wildcard "*" selection.

It is better to first achieve consistency, then the features can also be described in concise terms. Oh, by the way, thinking about it, the features already describe this consistent behavio(u)r of any number of generations, it is only not consistently implemented that way. So, why change the description and not the code?

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-09-24

I agree that everything in PGV should behave in a consistent manner.

If you're volunteering to look into this, please go ahead.  Don't forget to share your corrections to the code.  I'll be happy to test them and, after testing, submit them to the SVN repository.  That includes corrections to the German language files (and any other language that you're familiar with).