Initial setup

2011-04-20
2013-05-30
  • mattymoo1977
    mattymoo1977
    2011-04-20

Hi there - I'm new to PhpGedView, and sorry if my question is quite basic. I'm about to setup and there are the following questions on the setup screen:

Database Type
    Database Host
    Database Port
    Database Username
    Database Password
    Database Name
    Use the database to provide UTF-8 collation
    Database Table Prefix

My question is… how do I use the information provided by my host (below) to go into which box? I'm not sure which item is which, and indeed if I have all I need. I'm going to leave it un-setup until someone can assist. Many thanks.

MySQL Database Information
    Host Name: .db...com
    Database Name:
    Description: PhpGedView
    User Name:

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2011-04-21

Matty
    This belongs in the HELP forum and is a good reason why you didn't receive a pretty prompt response.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking: there is a HELP icon adjacent to each term.

Database type is the type of database and has a pulldown - should be MySQL unless you are using SQLite (probably not)
    Database Host = Host Name
    Database port =  leave it blank to use default. Unlikely it is another port or they would have told you
    Database U/N = User Name
    Database Name - Database Name
    Use UTF-8 collation = sure, if you intend to use accents or non-English languages. UTF-8 would be the default.
    Database Table Prefix => default will be pgv_  unless you wish it to be otherwise. Your choice

All this could have been figured out yourself with use of the HELP on the form, or the WIKI. These forums are not for routine replacement of your obligation to read the information provided. And, please use the proper forum.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2011-04-22

You should check with your provider whether the database is resident on the same physical machine as the web server (and your PhpGedView installation).  In this case, the database host should be "localhost".

I echo Stephen's comment:  Questions such as this should be posted in the Help forum.  You should only ask questions for which the answers are not obvious from other sources.