Batch Update - married names

kiwi_pgv
2009-10-03
2013-05-30
  • kiwi_pgv
    kiwi_pgv
    2009-10-03

I like to use married names in GEDCOMs, and use the Batch Update facility to check for any missing ones from time to time, especially if one of my users has been particularly busy adding new records. It works great.

However, I do find myself having to skip a number of records every time, because I know its not appropriate in certain cases to add the recommended married name.

In all of these it is caused by the husband having more than one SURN, due to a name change for some reason or other.

Batch Update suggests adding a second married name to the wife, to match the husbands 'other' name. This is not correct, because her married name has only ever been the one he was using when they married.

I realise I can skip / ignore these proposed updates, but wondered how hard it might be to test for an existing married name for the same INDI husband, and is that even a good idea? Can anyone think of cases where it WOULD be right to add a second married name in these cases?

• Thomas52
    Thomas52
    2009-10-05

I use when there is a spelling variation and I have an individual with a "second" name, such as John Inglet and John Inglett, or Robert Tullis and Robert Tulloss.  He was known under different names during his life, and can be found under either spelling, ditto the wife.  There are othjer more extreme examples of spelling variations, but you get the idea.

• Kiwi,

I have a similar problem - or a different one. In the Polish branch, married names are derived from, but not identical to husband name (usually due to gender change, Kowalski - Kowalska). So I skip and skip, as the program suggests inappropriate Kowalski.

Perhaps a flag "checked for married name" would help - once set, those records would be left alone?

• Marek,
    Could you try to change Surname tradition config option to polish?

• Wooc,

Haven't upgraded to 4.2.2 yet (need to allocate time for disaster recovery) and it is not there in 4.1.6.

How does it handle Kowal? Does it suggest Kowal or Kowalowa for married name?

-Marek

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2009-10-05

At the moment it just handles these endings, when adding wives/daughters.

-ski/cki/dzki => -ska/cka/dzka