Is sharing subtrees possible?

2013-04-09
2013-05-30
  • Is there a way to share a subtree of one family tree in another family tree without copying it?  Imagine the Jones' family tree (in PhpGedView) going back to the 1700's.  I am building up the Smith family tree (in PhpGedView).  Back in 1880 a Jones man married a Smith woman, so their family and descendents are already in the Jones family tree.  When I enter the Smith woman into my family tree, can I just point somehow to her entry in the Jones family tree?

If this is possible, how do I do it?  The Jones family tree is password protected.  I'd like to make the transition between the Smith family and the Jones family subtree as seamless as possible, is there a way to embed credentials into the link from the Smith family to the Jones subtree?

Thanks,
    -Sam

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2013-04-10

Sam
    Basically, no. Security can not be passed thru a URL or it would be no security at all, and GEDCOM linking never really worked right. You can enter a fact on the individual's page in the first tree and use the NOTE field to put the URL of the person in the second tree with an explanation - "Click on this link for more details on xxxxxx's ancestral history, but if the URL is not public and the person navigating to that page does not have viewing rights, they will be given a PRIVATE page warning.
    -Stephen

• ggpauly
    ggpauly
    2013-04-17

Hi Sam,

You can add a link to the other website on the main page of an individual - like this (see link below picture in upper left):  T

https://paulyfamily.org/individual.php?pid=I9

Do this be adding a media item with the URL of the page you want to link to as "File name on server".  You can also add a Title which will be the link text.

George