Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

How are these generated? 0 &N****&am...

Tim Silver
2010-12-01
2013-05-30
  • Tim Silver
    Tim Silver
    2010-12-01

Hello,

I'm using 4.1.5

Just been looking at my gedcom in notepad and noticed at the end a load of entries that look like this - 0 &N0012& NOTE And then text.

How would these entries have been generated?

Tim

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2010-12-01

Tim
    First, 4.1.5 was released 2008-05-01. I don't know of anyone here who can support you on that release.
    Second,
    the correct nomenclature for the Shared Note should be  " 0 @Nxxxx@ NOTE   Some note about something"  are you sure about the ampersands?  If so, you've trashed your gedcom with a search and replace or other method of corruption.
    -Stephen

• Gerry Kroll
    Gerry Kroll
    2010-12-01

Tim:
    You're seeing a "shared note" definition here.  Shared notes allow more than one GEDCOM record to refer to the same note text without having to replicate that text umpteen times.  Any GEDCOM record that needs to refer to a shared note, even if it's the only one doing so, would simply use something like  "1 NOTE @Nxxxx@

The other, older, way of using Notes is to actually include the text like so:  "1 NOTE blah blah blah"

The version of PGV you're using hasn't actually implemented Shared Notes.  Each occurrence of Note text is treated as a unique Note, but using the Shared Note references.  This leads to text replication when identical text is used more than once. 

The latest-and-greatest version implements this correctly, and lets you create a true shared note that can then be called up as often as you wish.

• Tim Silver
    Tim Silver
    2010-12-01

Thanks for the answers guys and okbigkid, yes, this old fool probably made a double typo!

Thanks again,

Tim