Access to email adresses of members

2010-01-03
2013-05-30
  • Hi all,

Am I right in assuming that it should be impossible to send an email directly to the email address of a member? At least I think this should be the case.
    The reason I ask you is because I DID receive an email from a member of the PGV group. This to me is unacceptable, therefore I am asking you all to let me know what YOU think about this.
    The leadup to this email can be found in the feature request section, where I asked for a new descendancy tree.

Anxiously awaiting your replies, regards, Wim

• Veit
    Veit
    2010-01-03

I don't completely understand what your problem is?
    Everybody can send you an email through sourceforge beeing a sourceforge user and clicking on your profile, shown in your message above and choosing the function. The message you got is propably an automated message send from sourceforge regarding a comment somebody has done in the tracker https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2924660&group_id=55456&atid=477082

This is a very normal procedure at sourceforge.

Veit

• Hi there Veit,

That is not what I meant, I meant someone wrote directly to my email address, without going through the method you described above. Yor email address is not visible in your profile! Therefore, I don't understand how somebody got my email address.

Wim.

• Stephen Arnold
    Stephen Arnold
    2010-01-03

Wilhelm  
    You are correct in first statement, whether it applies to SF or to any PGV site you may operate.

Am I right in assuming that it should be impossible to send an email directly to the email address of a member?

Neither SF nor PGV expose your direct email address to the public, or other PGV users or SF members. However, should you fail to respond in kind, using the SF message system and rather reply to the person directly, you yourself would be 'exposing' your actual email address to any respondees, not the system. The same would be true with PhpGedView.  
    -Stephen

• Greg Roach
    Greg Roach
    2010-01-03

You could ask the person how they got your email address…

There may be a perfectly innocent explanation.