There is a NEW VERSION ! (poppler)

Clemens
2011-11-08
2014-05-20
  • Clemens
    Clemens
    2011-11-08

Hi there,
    the bad news discussed here that there wasn't an update since five years - so the project looked quite dead - must not to hurt anymore… because:

There is a NEW VERSION of our loved pdftohtml converter!

I'm wondering why nobody else ever announced or find out, that there is a further development since (over) five years!?!
    Anyway, you want to hear now where to look for that… okay, here we go:

It's part of  poppler and is called pdftohtml too and is based on the same engine (but the newest Xpdf->v3.x!). Just enhanced! And for sure it's opensource (GPL) again !
    Find out more, let's grow it up: http://poppler.freedesktop.org/

One thing is little mad: I's not that easy to get for Windows. There are no official binaries.
    - You can find v0.15 on mfc's Blog
    - Inside of KDE 4.7 for Windows is a compiled v0.16.5 (I would upload it for you when interested)
    - The newest (v0.18) linux version is available on pkgs.org (I could help giving an advise how to get it run with andLinux inside Windows)

Enjoy your new potential pdftohtml converter!
    Bye bye, see you in the poppler community ;)

• Maverick
      Maverick
      2014-05-20

Last edit: Maverick 2014-05-20

• Anonymous
    2011-11-08

Thanks for the great info and links.
    >>- Inside of KDE 4.7 for Windows is a compiled v0.16.5 (I would upload it for you when interested)
    Yes, this would be great if you could.
    Thanks

• Anonymous
    2011-11-08

Using pdftohtml-0.39-win32 available from this site, I can drag a pdf to the pdftohtml.exe file and all files are created in that folder.
    The pdftohtml.exe inside the Poppler-utils 0.15 for Windows.zip you linked above appears to NOT create any files from a pdf.
    So any tips on how to use this new pdftohtml.exe?

Using WinXP

• Clemens
    Clemens
    2011-11-08

Hi!

I could reproduce your problem. Not sure if it's cause of v0.15 or cause of the specific build.
    Anyway with the KDE-v0.16.5 the problem disappears. So just download it here, I've uploaded it:
    https://rapidshare.com/files/2111001593/pdftohtml_0.16.5_incl_script.zip

Furthermore there is a tiny special inside the package:
    A script which you can use for multiple drag&drop your pdfs for converting a batch.
    Also important to be able to use switches like -c, -s etc without being familiar with the windows console.

Enjoy!

• KSC
    KSC
    2011-11-21

We are able to convert the pdf document to xml with the old version. I tried the new version from MFN's blog but there is no command line argument for xml… Can you please tell how to achieve that…

• Clemens
    Clemens
    2011-11-21

Hmm, isn't the "-xml" switch what you're looking for?!

And try to use a newer one, like the 0.16.5 I've uploaded.

• KSC
    KSC
    2011-11-22

It worked with the new version. Thank you so much.

• Clemens
    Clemens
    2012-06-13

Good news everybody!

You can find the compiled v0.20.0 (0.20.1 is the newest in this very moment) in calibre (portable) v0.8.55 !!
    Just look for pdftohtml.exe in …\Calibre Portable\Calibre and take all the dlls out of …\Calibre Portable\Calibre\DLLs it needs.

• Clemens
    Clemens
    2012-06-13

Needed DLLs are:
    - freetype.dll
    - jpeg.dll
    - libpng12.dll
    - zlib1.dll
    Direct link to download page.

• Sergio Barja
    Sergio Barja
    2013-05-14

Thanks you Clemens!
    I'm working with Windows and I was lost before I read your posts.