Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Compaq M700 Hangs when card inserted

2004-12-30
2013-04-08
  • Matt KEller
    Matt KEller
    2004-12-30

I've been having a "wonderful" time getting my stupid Compaq Armada M700 working. Everytime i insert a card, the system hangs. I've read several threads on here about this problem, but i'm not sure if they apply. For example:
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=265131

In that thread it says that i should be using the i82365 driver. However, my system doesn't like/use that driver. My system only works (or atleast it says its watching 2 slots) when i use the yenta_socket driver. How does one go about configureing the pcic_opts with that driver? I'm getting despreate. lol. :(

-Matt

• David Hinds
      David Hinds
      2004-12-30

For recent kernels, yenta_socket is the right driver; the thread you found is pretty old.  However, yenta_socket does not implement the pcic_opts parameter that fixed the problem in that thread.

The basic problem here is a broken BIOS that is supplying broken information to the kernel.  I would see if Compaq provides a BIOS upgrade for this model, since that might fix the underlying problem.

If bo BIOS upgrade is available, then you would have to use the pcmcia-cs modules, to get the i82365 driver, so that you could use the pcic_opts setting.  That would require using a 2.4 kernel with the kernel PCMCIA support disabled.

-- Dave

• Hi,

I had a similar hang-up problem but on a different hardware. Its running on a 2.4.x Kernel, using yenta_socket.
      It got it working when I used these CORE_OPTS settings: CORE_OPTS="probe_io=0 do_apm=0". I'm not sure if my hardware or BIOS is to blame for this problem as it works without special tweakings in M$ WinXP. I was about to blame the hardware manufacturer. But after intalling and seeing it work in XP, I had no choice but to try other weaks in Linux. I'm lucky that it worked.

HTH - Vic

• David Hinds
        David Hinds
        2005-01-06

There are several different things that can have the same apparent effect (hang-up).

-- Dave