register_serial autoconfig failed Trimble GPS

Jeff
2004-09-24
2013-04-08
  • Jeff
    Jeff
    2004-09-24

I have a Trimble Mobile GPS pcmcia card. It is listed as supported under the serial_cs driver on the supported cards list. On several different machines (kernels 2.4.18-2.4.26) I always get:

register_serial(), autoconfig failed
    serial_cs, register_serial() at 0x____, irq _ failed

No matter what ioports or irq's I exclude I still get a similar error, but with different ioports and irqs.

Is there something I can do to pinpoint what is causing this problem or to go about resolving this? thanks

• David Hinds
      David Hinds
      2004-09-28

Have you tried to use the card under Windows?  Did you buy the card new or used?  (i.e. is there a possibility that the card is just broken?)

-- Dave

• Jeff
      Jeff
      2004-09-28

I bought the card used, but it seems to detect and install fine under Windows XP with no errors.  dump_cis reports the card as having a 16450 UART. Does that possibly have anything to do with it?

• David Hinds
        David Hinds
        2004-09-28

When you say it installs fine under Windows XP, do you mean that the card actually operates fine, or just installs (i.e. loads the driver) fine?

Reporting a 16450 UART is fine.

-- Dave

• sunny pat
      sunny pat
      2008-06-13

I am inserting Kyocera W05K modem card in IXP425 board with kernel 2.4.21

and getting same error,

serial_cs, register_serial() at 0x____, irq _ failed

No matter what ioports or irq's I exclude I still get a similar error, but with different ioports and irqs.

does anybody know solution of this?