SuSE 9.1 ???????

Help
Jacky Jou
2004-07-28
2004-08-07
  • Jacky Jou
    Jacky Jou
    2004-07-28

???? SuSE 9.1 ???????????SuSE xcin ???? UTF-8 ??
    PC Man ??????? Big5 ??????????

????????????? UTF-8 ??????????? Big5 ???
    ??????????? PCMan ?????????????

????????????????

• Jacky Jou
      Jacky Jou
      2004-07-28

sorry, I forgot I shouldn't write chinese in this forum .....

I was saying, I found why can't input chinese in SuSE 9.1, because xcin send UTF-8 to PCMan, and PCMan explain to Big5 directly. then it become strange word.

I try type some chinese words in editor, save as UTF-8 code, then use browser to open it, and force browser to decode as Big5, those chinese words become strange chinese word, just like what I type in PCMan.

Is this a easy to solve problem?

• The biggest problem is that on different systems with different Chinese input, we cannot use a single solution.
      However, there seems to be no resonable proposal about the detection of encoding.  Currently we're not able to deal with this kind of problem.  Can anyone familiar with X Window help?

• Jacky Jou
      Jacky Jou
      2004-07-29

If detect is the problem, and u can make unique convert for UTF8, big5, gb32 separately easily. Maybe make 3 version for different ppl to download, or make a setup option let ppl decide what encode they use. will solve this problem? I guess only 3 kinds of input encode need to be done. or maybe only UTF8 & big5 version even?

• This kind of design will mess up everything.
      Because under MS Windows 98/ME, there is no dirrect unicode support.
      Conditional compilation can solve this kind of problems somtimes, but this can make things more chaotic.
      By no means will it be a somple task.

• Jacky Jou
      Jacky Jou
      2004-07-30

I see thanx ... I think I'll find out how to change my locale setup to solve this problem ....

• Jacky Jou
      Jacky Jou
      2004-08-07

found a way to use PCManX under UTF-8 environment:

make a shell scrip like this to call PCManX:

#!/bin/bash
      export LANG=zh_TW.Big5
      /usr/share/PCManX/PCManX
      # make sure path is where u put PCManX in

save it and modify file to excusable. then it works well.