disappearing REFDES

Help
2007-10-26
2013-05-29
  • Paul Probert
    Paul Probert
    2007-10-26

Hi,
      New user here. I'm running 20070912 on i386 gentoo. I'm trying to move my components around on my first board (all smt). The reference designators such as R1, C1, etc seem to randomly disappear after I select and drag them. Sometimes they disappear on a certain component after I've selected and dragged a different one.
      This is really slowing down the process of arranging my board. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Paul Probert
    University of Wisconsin

• harry eaton
      harry eaton
      2007-10-27

You shouldn't normally select the refdes in order to move it, simply drag it unselected. I really don't know why the refdes "disappears", but it shouldn't be possible to move it if it is selected unless the component it belongs to is also selected. If that is the case, they both should move which is likely not what you want.

• Paul Probert
        Paul Probert
        2007-10-27

Hi,
          Thanks for the reply. What I was doing was trying to move a bunch of parts at once by selecting them all by dragging a box around them with the select tool and then dragging the whole group around. This is probably some behavior from my previous pcb tool that I have to unlearn. It seems that if I did this once then for the rest of my session the problem would be with me.
          I think its fixed in CVS. If it recurs I'll get back to you.

Paul Probert
        University of Wisconsin

• harry eaton
          harry eaton
          2007-10-27

That's the right thing to do if you want to move multiple objects at once, but it's not the way to move one single thing.