Menu

Thread control Issues

2014-09-30
2014-10-21
  • Matthew Scholz

Matthew Scholz - 2014-09-30

I work at MSU's HPCC, and we are having issues with correct threading control of the tool. Specifically, it appears that the call out to BLASR has a hard-coded thread count of 4:

"I looked into this briefly. It appears the culprit is a call to blasr made by PBJelly. While most of the calls are nproc=1, there is one script: Valid.py - that makes a call using nproc=4:

/opt/software/PBSuite/14.7.14--GCC-4.4.5/bin/Valid.py

31: OLCAssembly.py input.fastq -nproc 4
    34: OLCAssembly.py ../out.fasta ../out.qual -nproc 4
    221: return exe("OLCAssembly.py %s --nproc 4 --fqOut --workDir %s" % (inputFq, workDir))"

• Adam English

Adam English - 2014-10-02

You are correct that this is an error. However, the code 'Valid.py' is never used. So this won't create the error you might be seeing.

• Matthew Scholz

Matthew Scholz - 2014-10-17

Perhaps we can discuss this further. There is a difinitive problem, in that PBJelly is calling processes with non-controllable number of threads, made by blasr

• Adam English

Adam English - 2014-10-21

Hey Matthew,

This problem is fixed and will be available in the next PBSuite version - which I hope to release by the end of the month. If you don't wish to wait that long, copy this file:

https://sourceforge.net/p/pb-jelly/code-0/HEAD/tree/trunk/pbsuite/utils/CommandRunner.py

and overwrite $SWEETPATH/pbsuite/utils/CommandRunner.py in your installed version.