If you check in Files tab, you'll see two new downloads - PBSuite and PBHoney. I apologize that it's poorly organized and will be cleaning it up soon.
The reason for these new files is I've been building a new program called PBHoney. Because there are so many useful utilities in PBJell's code-base, I decided to build PBHoney as an extension of PBJelly. This has given birth to what this project will be called from here on out - the PBSuite (suite.. sweet.. get it!?).... read more
After tons of feedback from you wonderful users, we've discovered a handful of bugs that are fixed in our latest PBJelly release v14.1.14.
For anyone who saw Kim Worley's presentation at PAG, this is the version 2 you want.
Thank you users for your help in making Jelly better! With your assistance, I was able to better the code to ensure that Jelly's is more accurate and more stable. If you've been using the previous beta-version, I must insist you upgrade to the latest version to ensure you're making the best assemblies possible.
There is still one outstanding issue that has affected many users. I didn't realize that I was developing Jelly with a very old version of networkx (v1.1) in my environment. Unfortunately, the new version handles thing differently enough that Jelly can't work with it right now. I will be addressing this problem as soon as I can. Until then, you need to have networkx v1.1 in your python environment.... read more
After a long development cycle, The beta version of the new Jelly has arrived! Please download it, test it out, and send me your feedback. If you feel like waiting for the full release, you can expect a finalized program soon barring any major setbacks.
Below are the major changes in functionality. Soon we'll have a full report explaining what has changed and why. I'm not sure if this report will be an Applications Note in some journal or just a blog post. ... read more
Here are the changes you will find in the latest version of PBJelly
-- PBJelly's NCBISubmissionCreator now works and is much more user-friendly.
-- fillMetrics.json for any improved gap now has a [Left|Right|Span][Start|End] tag that keeps track of the coordinates of the contig that was used to left/right/span improve the gap.
-- Changed the untangling of reads in Support so it functions better.
-- Added exclusion.py for help with performing multiple iterations of PBJelly.py. exclusion.py will compare two support directories from PBJelly runs and remove reads that were previously identified as supporting a gap from being used in a successive iteration. Though, this is currently not optimal because there isn't a 1-to-1 correspondence between reads supporting the gaps and reads composing the contig that improves the gap (i.e. you lose some amount of data.)... read more
Unfortunately, testing for PBJelly 12.7.25 wasn't as rigorous as it needed to be and there were a number of bugs that slipped through. These have been addressed and are now in the CHANGELOG file distributed with PBJelly 12.8.2. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
-- Gaps that are within 25 bp of one another are now consolidated into a single gap.
-- Made some progress on the scripts that help with NCBI Submission of Upgraded Genomes (Still in Beta, though)... read more
One limitation of PBJelly we identified is that mapping results were holding us back during or remap/resupport stage of assembly, especially when defining trim boundaries of negative gaps.
Consider the following fake contig PBJelly assembled around a negative gap and it's alignment to the reference.
PBJelly Contig - ...ATCGATCGA------TCGA-----------------GATCGATCG...
Reference - ...ATCGATCGATCGAGATCGATCGGNNNNNNNNNNATCGATCGATCG...
Previously, PBJelly would trim 4 bases off of the 3' end of the left contig (TCG) and 3 bases off of the 5' end of the right contig (ATC) before joining the contigs. However, if you look closely, the first and third gaps in the realignment are unnecessary. That is to say, one can realign the bases TCGA further upstream in a manner more continuous with the rest of the PBJelly contig. After realignment, 9 bases are identified for trimming from the 3' end of the left contig.
In addition to the realignment improvement, we also have sped up the remap/resupport stage of assembly. PBJelly used to map the contigs it created to the entire original reference to find support. This is unnecessary because we've already identified all reads within a contig as supporting a particular gap. We really only need to remap to the gap-flanking region of interest in order to identify what part of our new contig fills the gap. Now PBJelly only remaps to the region of the gap that is being improved. This is the same improvement that allowed us to run PBJelly on the very large Sooty mangabey reference in a reasonable amount of time. It took approximately 2 days from start to finish to improve the Sooty mangabey by submitting up to 300 jobs to the cluster per step in the PBJelly workflow (i.e. splitting the assembly effort into 300 independent partitions - something easily done using the nJobs element in your PBJelly protocol settings.)
Jelly has been updated to work with SMRTAnalysis 1.3.1. See Version 12.5.29 and up!