Setting up synch (linux, android)

Help
2013-10-23
2013-10-27
  • Johan Vromans
    Johan Vromans
    2013-10-23

I'm trying to set up a synch between the Linux and Android apps. After some (actually, a lot of) experimenting I give up. The lack of documentation makes it too time consuming to find all out.

On Linux I'm running pwsafe 0.92beta, on Android it is PasswdSafe 4.2.0. Files are synched via ownCloud.

In an ideal situation, pwsafe modifies the database, the changed database is synched via the cloud to the other clients, which automatically synch the changes into their copies of the safe, while synching back their changes to the cloud. How ideal can we get in real life, with pwsafe? Does anyone have a reliable synch setup in a situation like this? I'm looking forward to hear how to achieve this.

• Jack
      Jack
      2013-10-27

I do have this running with Owncloud, albeit with a few hiccups.

I hit problems with the automatic saving function in pwsafe, so I have this turned off and explicitly save when I make changes. I also tend to open in read-only mode if I don't plan to make changes. This seems to work for me (sync between two Linux boxes and two Android devices).

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2013-10-23

Depends on what you mean by "Sync".

On the Linux and Windows versions of PasswordSafe, the application re-reads the file whenever you unlock it. This works out pretty well with the cloud, as you typically have the database unlocked on a single platform at a given time. Any changes you make will be picked up by the other instances next time they unlock the database.

If you need to have the database unlocked simultaneously by different instances, this won't work. In fact, you should get an error message in this case, at least across Windows/Linux applications.

• Jerry McLellan
    Jerry McLellan
    2013-10-23

Related Question - I primarily use SugarSync for syncing between Windows PC's and access from IOS devices. I started using the PWSafe app, and used DropBox within SugarSync to sync my safe, until I started having issues with SugarSync. SugarSync support indicated known issues with syncing DropBox within SugarSync. I then moved the folder, and synced manually between the windows file, putting it in DropBox. Not convenient. So, I looked into using iCloud, which is great for access from all of my IOS devices, but won't sync between Windows PC's and iCloud. Does anyone have an automated solution? I really like SugarSync overall - but my safe is the most important thing that I want access to from anywhere.

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2013-10-23

SugarSync and DropBox can co-exist on the same PC, they just can't share folders. So if you're happy with SugarSync, just put the database file in a SugarSync folder, and it will sync just fine on all the machines that you configure to share it.

You might also want to consider cloud storage providers that emphasize security over convenience, such as SpiderOak or Wuala (I have no vested interests in either). Both of these have a few gigs free storage, and clients on Windows, IOS and Android.

• Jerry McLellan
    Jerry McLellan
    2013-10-23

That is what I have been doing - just copying to a different DropBox synced folder - but I can't install DropBox on all computers (corporate policy, but SugarSync is OK...), so I have been doing that only on one PC. It is just a hassle when I have set up new passwords, and have not remembered to update DropBox when I am on the road with my iPhone. I still have good access, just not as automatic and constantly updating like I would prefer.