Help
Peter Nagy
2014-01-09
2014-01-20
  • Peter Nagy
    Peter Nagy
    2014-01-09

Hello

We have several different password safe databases with different windows user permissions in the same folder. What started to happening after we upgraded password safe to version 3.31(from 3.09) is that when we update one of the databases it's windows permissions will change to inherited.
    Is this expected behavior?
    As a workaround we now placed password safes to different folders.

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2014-01-09

That's odd. I don't recall any changes in that part of the code.
    - What version(s) of Windows are your files on? Has this changed recently?
    - Could you try version 3.32, create a database from scratch and let me know what you see?

Thanks,

Rony

• Peter Nagy
    Peter Nagy
    2014-01-17

Hi Rony

It's windows is 2008R2. We were running version 3.09 on it for ages and upgraded to 3.31 when it was released(3.31). We only noticed this change in permissions during recent audit.
    I installed version 3.32 on different 2008R2 server and tested this with same results.
    I then uninstalled it and tried version 3.09 and it worked fine(didn't change permissions to inherited.)

Thanks.

• fernando
      fernando
      2014-01-17

maybe see if v3.27 has same behaviour as v3.09
      (backup policy at v3.28 changed)

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2014-01-17

So something "broke" with regards to how PasswordSafe handles permissions somewhere between 3.09 and 3.32. Trouble is, 3.09 was released in 2007 - that's a lot of changes to go through! It could also be that the problem's with the runtime libraries that we depend upon.

My main problem with this is that I don't have access to a machine running 2008R2, or even a VM with that image :-(.

• Do you have backups enabled? If yes, the reason may be in this change:
    - v3.09 on PWScore::BackupCurFile copy current file to .ibak and then create new over it.
    - current version move current file to .ibak and then create new.
    In first case file permissions aren't changed because old file isn't deleted (.ibak, should also have the same permissions as original file, because FOF_NOCOPYSECURITYATTRIBS not set), in second case new file will use inherited permissions.

• Peter Nagy
    Peter Nagy
    2014-01-20

Hi Andrey

Yes we do have backup enabled. So first .ibak will have same(correct) permissions, but after several changes it will also change to inherited since .psafe3 will be changed.
    Thanks for you replies as I said it's not a huge issue now once we placed safes into separate folders.

Thanks