My worst nightmare has come true...

Celica37
2013-02-26
2013-03-05
  • Celica37
    Celica37
    2013-02-26

I have been using password safe for years and really love the program, however my worst nightmare has just come true....I opened my database, but it's empty! I must of accidentally deleted something needed to retrieve my information. I'm using version 3.19 but have downloaded the 3.30 version as well, but it's still empty when I open it. Is there any way to recover all my data and passwords?

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2013-02-27

You might want to look for the backup file(s) that PasswordSafe automatically creates. These are named pwsafe.ibak (or something similar, depending on the version), and are in the same directory as the main database, pwsafe.psafe3.

Please keep a backup of your database on another machine, or on a disk-on-key, to protect against hardware failures.

• Celica37
    Celica37
    2013-02-27

Thanks Rony! I ran a search for .ibak and pwsafe.psafe3 files and found lots of them with both file types, but when I try to open them a pop up telling me that windows cannot open the file...they're three different types that I have, .ibak, .plk or .psafe3 files.

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2013-02-27

Try opening a .ibak file using PasswordSafe directly - click on the ellipses (...) button in the opening window and select the file.

The .plk files can be ignored.

• Celica37
    Celica37
    2013-02-27

YAY!!!!! Thank you so very much Rony...if you were here I'd have you squeezed all to pieces, lol. So happy!!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :)

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2013-02-27

You're welcome.
    Note that the last change you've made to the database is lost, since backups are made after each change.
    Please keep a copy of your database on another machine, or on a disk-on-key. This will protect you against hardware failure or theft.

• Rob Wilkie
    Rob Wilkie
    2013-03-05

Would really recommend using something like DropBox to keep the database. Great way of managing the same database across multiple machines.

• Ulrich Boche
      Ulrich Boche
      2013-03-05

Keeping the PasswordSafe database in Dropbox doesn't obviate the need for adequate backup. You can never fully trust the providers of cloud services keep your data accessible and intact all the time and under all circumstances.