pwsafe 3.04.exe install

met
2006-10-29
2012-09-17
  • met
    met
    2006-10-29

When i try to install pwsaft 3.04 exe, two files are installed but the program files grayed out and are not installed. Could this be because the files run in memory and do not have to be installed? Is there a way that I can print the password data base as I fear that I might lose all of my passwords if anything should happen to pwsafe. I have not uninstalled pwsafe 2.13 which I am now using.

• Rony Shapiro
      Rony Shapiro
      2006-10-29

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused. Can you tell me what files are installed and which are grayed out?

In general, if you have a previous version of PasswordSafe running while trying to upgrade, that could be a problem.

It's a good idea to keep backups of the password database file in case anything happens to the disk or computer. As to anything "happening" to PasswordSafe, you can always use the versions that have been already released - they're not going to disappear.

If you'd like a hardcopy of your passwords, the easiest thing to do is to "export" the database to a text file, and then print that file via notepad or Word. Note though, that this leaves a copy of your passwords on disk, even if you delete the file.

Cheers,

Rony

• Ron
        Ron
        2006-10-30

"Note though, that this leaves a copy of your passwords on disk, even if you delete the file."

Could you explain this? Where exactly is it going to leave a copy? Thanks!

• Rony Shapiro
          Rony Shapiro
          2006-10-30

What I meant was as follows:

In general, "deleting" a file on Windows (or most modern operating systems) doesn't erase the contents of the file (even if you "empty" the recycle bin). The operating system just removes the file's entry from the directory, and marks the space occupied by the file as available for re-use. Fairly simple tools are available for scanning for such "deleted" files and recovering their data. A really determined attacker can read such files even after they've been overwritten.

Therefore, unencrypted files with sensitive data such as passwords are a Bad Idea in general. If you want to securely erase data, there are several tools that are available for this. I use "eraser" downloadable from SourceForge, and am quite happy with it.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Cheers,

Rony

• met
      met
      2006-10-29

When I click on pwsafe 3.04 exe, I get box titled Password salfe 3.04 install. IN select component to install box
      program files is grayed out...can't be checked
      show start in start menu...can be checked
      install desktop shortcut.....can be checked

space requared 2.7MB

I cleck "next" and a shortcut shows up in the menu and on the desktop.

I click on the shortcut and I can't do anything with pw. Maybe it's installed. Maybe the program file is not suppose to be installed. When I removed When I removed pw 2.13, the version I am now using, and I tried to reinstalled, the same thing happened. luckily I had "GOBACK" and I was able to restore my computer so that I got my passwords back with a working pw. This is why I want a hard copy of my passwords.

• Rony Shapiro
        Rony Shapiro
        2006-10-30

Hi,

In the installation program, "Program files" is grayed out and checked, because not installing the files is not an option (if you don't want to install them, don't run the installation program...).

I've just double-checked, and the install program works fine for me.

Can you explain a bit more about what you mean by "I click on the shortcut and I can't do anything with pw.": Exactly what happens (or doesn't)? Do you get an error message? If so, what? Can you right-click on the desktop shortcut and tell me what's in the "Target" and "Start in" fields?

Thanks,

Rony

• met
      met
      2006-10-31

I uninstalled the old pwsafe and installed pwsafe 3.04. It asked for my password and found the database and brought it up. I lost nothing. It re saved the new versing of the data over the old. Works good.
      Thanks for the help