Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Master Password command line

2013-07-30
2013-09-05
  • Dave Griffin
    Dave Griffin
    2013-07-30

Greetings,

I've just started using password safe (thank you!) and a question on shared databases:

Can I pass the master password on the command line, to start up a new instance of pwsafe to open the shared database? That would enable me to set up an 'run command' from my private database, to open the shared database.

Cheers
    Dave

• Dave Griffin
    Dave Griffin
    2013-08-20

Any thoughts on this one, or should I just raise it as a feature request?

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2013-08-24

Setting up such a 'run command' means that the master password would be stored in the clear on your machine, ready to be seen by anyone passing by while you're away.

In general, anything entered on the command line is persistently visible (e.g., in the history of the command prompt). Doesn't seem like a good idea, security-wise.

• Dave Griffin
    Dave Griffin
    2013-08-27

I'm not storing the password in clear, I'd be storing it in passwordsafe - this is to allow me to setup a runCommand within my personal DB, to access a secondary, shared DB.

or am I missing a trick here and I can set it to use autotype? Will have to recheck that.

• Dave Griffin
    Dave Griffin
    2013-08-27

ah! I'd noticed the right click menu option for 'URL+autotype', and wondered why there wasnt a 'Run Command +autotype', but hadn't realised you could embed "${autotype} into the Run Command itself to achieve the same effect. Why not have the extra menu option for consistency?

This perhaps wants to be hinted at somewhere in the help file then:

Sample of how to open up another PasswordSafe instance securely:

Autotype: \p\n
    RunCmd: {autotype}"${appdir}\pwsafe.exe" \UNC\path\to\database.psafe3

That does exactly what I was after. :-)

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2013-08-27

Lovely.

Hopefully a future version will have more elegant support for this.

Rony

• Dave Griffin
    Dave Griffin
    2013-08-27

Chucking that 'sample' into the help file should cover it really.

• Rony Shapiro
    Rony Shapiro
    2013-09-05

The Run Command page on the help file now has this example, duly credited.

Actually, the example is:
    ${autotype}(\p\n)"${appdir}\pwsafe.exe" \UNC\path\to\database.psafe3

Thanks!

• Dave Griffin
    Dave Griffin
    2013-09-05

Many thanks, and of course, putting the non-default autotype in their makes it all so much easier !