Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Permissions for different users

2006-11-02
2014-04-26
  • thesambarnes
    thesambarnes
    2006-11-02

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before.

I am using Password Safe as a centralised password management tool for the small web agency I work for and it works great.

My one question is - is it possible to set permissions for certain groups? For example, all of the agency usernames and passwords that an agency use include some you dont want all employees knowing.

I know I could just create another database for these more sensitive passwords and thats easily done, I just wondered if there is any current way you could perhaps password protect groups so all users can access Password Safe as normal, but only users with the next password can view say the "Server Login" details?

If not, unsuprisingly, I think this would be a nice feature :-)

Thanks

• cshenberger
      cshenberger
      2007-05-18

I am using password safe with a similar purpose and this would be a great feature. I am wondering if you thought any more about adding this feature to the software or have decided it is something that you aren't going to add?

CShenberger

• Rony Shapiro
        Rony Shapiro
        2007-05-18

PasswordSafe is designed mainly with the personal user in mind.

To add something that's specific for a corporate environment means that I need to figure out a way to do so without making the application more complex for a "regular" user, or that I split the application into two: a "basic" and "business" version.

In any case, I haven't decided against the idea - just haven't gotten around to it yet. If anyone wants to donate time (code) or money towards the implementation of this, I'm open to such offers.

Rony

• Rony Shapiro
      Rony Shapiro
      2006-11-03

Hi,

Glad you find Passwordsafe useful.

As to user groups, this is something that would certainly useful for a commercial setting such as yours, but not very relevant for a single user or home environment.

Let me think about it a bit...

Rony

• Carl
    Carl
    2014-04-26

Hello,

Just curious if anyone has followed up on this over the past 7 years. As the original posters indicated, this would be very useful for a small organization like mine.

Thanks,

• Dave Griffin
    Dave Griffin
    2014-04-26

It really is easy and simple to just use multiple databases... everyone should have a personal database, and within that a link that opens the common, shared database, and those superusers just have another link that opens a separate 'master' database.

I've got this setup at work, and new users can create their own personal db, and import into that a simple db that contains just the link to the common db (password for that simple db is easily shared, and is different from the password to the common db)
    Super users use the same principle to import another (simple) db to get the link to the master db.