Menu

Project goals/FAQ

MikeF
2008-11-15
2013-04-11
  • MikeF

MikeF - 2008-11-15

Greetings!

IIRC I just heard about this project on the twit.tv FLOSS podcast.

Please consider posting a mission statement or something similar.

Are the projects goals similar to, say, gparted? How are they different?

IMO what made gparted even better is its inclusion on System Rescue CD (a lean, self booting Linux distro with GUI and tons of tools). Hopefully this project will get there.

Thanks, Mike

• randy

randy - 2009-04-28

what are the advantages / disadvantages vs. gparted, or the long in the tooth qtparted?

• Volker Lanz

Volker Lanz - 2009-04-30

> what are the advantages / disadvantages
        > vs. gparted,

You'll have to find out for yourself if you like KDE Partition Manager or gparted better. Chances are, if you're running a KDE4 desktop, KDE Partition Manager will fit in a whole lot better.

> or the long in the tooth qtparted?

qtparted has not been updated for years, AFAIK. It's an old and abandoned project at this point. You cannot compare it with KDE Partition Manager.

• Volker Lanz

Volker Lanz - 2009-04-30

> Please consider posting a mission statement
      > or something similar.

There isn't any apart from "write useful software".  This is a small system program, not some large desktop thing. ;-)

> Are the projects goals similar to, say,
      > gparted? How are they different?

What are the project goals for gparted?

> IMO what made gparted even better is its
      > inclusion on System Rescue CD (a lean, self
      > booting Linux distro with GUI and tons of
      > tools). Hopefully this project will get there.

I agree. But making a live CD is a _lot_ of work and takes an awful amount of quality control. I've looked into it and I don't see that my time is well spent with that.

It's in the Ubunbu repos now, so you can just download a Kubuntu Jaunty Live CD and apt-get it there, I think.

I'm not usually monitoring the forum here. I suggest to post wishes or bugs on http://bugs.kde.org in the future.