Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

good game, but slow map-download

-
2005-06-05
2012-10-09
  • -
    -
    2005-06-05

First the game is quite good.
    But the download of the maps should be faster (only 3 Kb/s)

And please add a singleplayer with bots, so that I can train and play offline.

• Nathan Wulf
      Nathan Wulf
      2005-07-14

Yes, the download is very slow. It's still using the original quake2 downloading system, which was designed for modem connections. I'm working on a new system, but haven't completed it yet.

There are bots, but they suck at the moment, to put it simply. Check the FAQ for how to use them: http://www.planetquake.com/digitalpaint/docs/faq.html#bots

We'll probably add some kind of single player/practice mode eventually.

• Andrew Fortier
      Andrew Fortier
      2006-06-10

I believe it has client code as well as the base engine code, so you could compare the optimized GoldSource code to the Quake II Engine code and see if their is any better method, I do not know C but I have heard of people being able to examine other peoples methods to improve their own... It could also just be a server variable... Maybe a quota setting in the server part of the game binary gamex86.dll

I am downloading this at home so I can do some mapping. My brother and I are excited about the prospect of having an engine that will bring the features of Source 7 to a Quake II level platform.

Does this engine run well on older systems like perhaps a Pentium 2 w/ 192MB PC100? He has a Ge-Force 2 with 64MB... Thanks for this project guys, this is just what I was looking for! -Andrew

• Andrew Fortier
      Andrew Fortier
      2006-06-10

As to the issue of bots, I have made a customized version of JumBot, called DumBot... These bots are tweaked to near perfection without the use of waypoints, and have an extensive chat file. The content in the chat is rated MATURE. Its fun to play, because they taunt and curse at each other. I hope to port DumBot to this system. I might use the CRBOT platform to do so.

• Andrew Fortier
      Andrew Fortier
      2006-06-09

Get the GoldSource / Half-Life SDK, the downloader (still based on Quake II's) is a little faster.

• Nathan Wulf
        Nathan Wulf
        2006-06-09

Does the SDK have the downloading code in it? I doubt it would be GPL compatible even if it did.