"Failed to open dict" problem

Help
xed2507
2005-12-28
2013-04-25
  • xed2507

xed2507 - 2005-12-28

Hi
    I installed the program on my Abacus Wrist PDA, and get the following error when I try to run it:
    "Setup Error: Failed to open dict database (pedict.pdb)"

BTW, I installed the following files:

padict.prc, jstroke.pdb, jstroke_h.pdb, jstroke_k.pdb, radkfile.pdb,
    edict_tiny.pdb
    pkanjifnt.pdb, elisa.pdb, kjdef.pdb, taka.pdb

Thanks

• Lars Grunewaldt

Lars Grunewaldt - 2006-01-12

that's wierd. Did you install the stuff on a memory card? Is there enough memory on your device to try out the normal dictionary? What exact files did you download?

thanks,
         Lars

• xed2507

xed2507 - 2006-01-12

Not sure what I did (maybe forgot to install the edict), but it works now....

But I have another question:
      Is it possible to get to the Kanji definition screen (and then the Stroke Order screen) without having to go thru the the PocketKanji screen?

What I mean is: can I copy a kanji from another program and then somehow paste it in to get the Definition and Stroke Order. That would be really useful!

Thanks

• Lars Grunewaldt

Lars Grunewaldt - 2006-01-13

If your system supports native japanese, i.e. because it's a japanese PalmOS, or you installed J-OS, you should be able to copy and paste a character from an other application into any of the PAdict search forms. You can than tap "kanji" in the search form to bring up definition, and then the SOD.

Right now there is no "short-cut" for that procedure, but it might be pretty nice. You could post a Request for Enhancement (RFE) here on sourceforge so that we don't forget until the next release is finished...

regards & a lot of fun with PAdict,
          Lars

• xed2507

xed2507 - 2006-01-13

Thanks Lars, I finally got it to work. I set Padict to go to the Romaji screen when starting it, and there I could paste in the Kanji, then click Kanji and get the info and stroke order. Using the Romaji screen is perhaps counter-intuative but it works!

I'll post a request for a shortcut soon. Another useful thing would be one of those DA things so I can call up the Kanji info and stroke from another program by invoking it with a control key.